Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Rain

 
It seemed a bit dark this morning when I woke up. I looked at my clock, and I hadn't overslept...then I heard a noise that I hadn't heard for quite some time. The sound of rain gently falling to the earth. What a welcome sight and sound.

Yesterday there was a brush fire up near Tampa that closed I-75 for several hours. People from three subdivisions had to evacuate their homes. People took hours instead of minutes to get to their homes from work.

this is the first time that we've had brush fires this close to us in our area. A few years ago there were several fires to the south which did a lot of damage, and now there is the one that has been burning on the east coast.

A few years ago when we had such a drought, I went to Orlando with a friend to a conference, and we could smell the fires from the northern part of the state. The manager of the motel said that people were calling wondering if the state was on fire.

Everyone today has been thankful for the rain that has come today, and we may be more on Thursday. We need lots right now to quench the thirst of the parched earth.


The rain is raining all around.
It falls on field and trees.
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea
.

Robert Louis Stevenson
 Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

Hello. I came here from SRP's blog. I noticed you went to Kansas City, but didn't stop by and say Hi to me and My First Wife. :)

I've been poking around your blog and have enjoyed it. My First Wife and I have worked with blind children and are sort of on-again/off-again workers with Deaf people. It's all fun. We can identify with quite a bit of your interests.

The rain is good...

jel said...

Beverly, glad you got some rain,:)

take care

God bless

srp said...

Love the rain for the trees but don't make me drive in it. We got about two inches here, too much for the rain spouts and gutters and now I need to try to suck up what came in under the floor of their sunroom.

AC said...

I'm glad you are getting some rain. Been watching, of course, the Braves/Marlins and there were rain delays for two of the games. Of course, it always rains down there and its north where it is needed.

Thanks for your kind comments. It is such fun to visit here too.