Friday, August 25, 2006

What, no picture?

So I said to my son, "Send more pictures.!" He said, "I haven't taken any. Anyway, you're going to be here next week." I may have to go through some that I took and post.

Today was the trip to the specialist with Ella. David said it was mostly an overview of Ella's care. She'll start on vitamins and enzymes next week. Apparently, failure to thrive is a problem with CF children because pancreas doesn't secrete the necessary enzymes to aid in digestion.

I don't know about this baby, but she was 6'15" when she went home from the hospital, and now she weighs 9'4", and she was just three weeks old on Wednesday, and she's grown almost 2 inches. In all honesty, David said she wouldn't straighten out her legs when they measured her when she was born.

In reading about this condition, I'm finding that there can be no letup in treatment. Keeping the lungs clear is of utmost importance. As you can imagine, I have been scouring the internet as have my friends. While it used to be that children did not make it to their teens, the average age of a CF patient is now 37.

I know that as Ella grows, treatment can only get better, and maybe they'll figure out how to engineer that gene for a cure.

5 comments:

jel said...

Keep the faith, she will live too she her grandkids someday! :)


but too! 1 DAY AT A Time
ENJOY


God Bless!

TJ said...

sounds like you are getting a wonderful attitude about this!!
Praying for Multi-Advances in technology so that she lives a long, healthy, productive life!!!
:-D

srp said...

It sounds like she is doing VERY WELL. Nyssa took two months to gain three pounds as I think she lost a bit at first.

They have so much better medication and treatments now, only getting better and the testing to recognize the problem in the neonatal period allows parents to learn what they have to watch for and catch any infections early.

As you say, they were led to Charlotsville, and have a medical school university hospital there. God does and continues to provide.

Unknown said...

hi Beverly!

it has been a long time since I have been on here- so much to read. I must get in touch w/ David and Sabrina to wish them congratulations on the birth of a beautiful daughter.

i hope you have a wonderful trip up there... i will be in touch again soon!

becki l

Anonymous said...

Advances are coming so very rapidly in many aspects of medicine. I will continue to pray for this sweet little girl and for a cure.

You must be bursting to see and hold her again. :-)