Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ella at one month

 
While we were in Waynesboro with David and Sabrina, Ella had her one month birthday. A lot has happened in this first month...the blood tests, and then the diagnosis of cystic fibrosis. She now is given enzymes before she nurses to aid her digestion.

She generally is a happy baby in the morning, but by late afternoon she lets you know that she isn't too content with the goings on. Fortunately, she has been waking up only once during the night, giving her parents a chance to get some rest.

One's life is changed forever when a baby arrives, isn't it.

I'm going to ask your advice, or I'm going to take a poll. My daughter and I are seriously thinking of relocating to be near David, Sabrina, and Ella. I know that people have said that you shouldn't follow your kids around, because they may not stay in the same place very long. I know that's true. That's one factor. However, David, Sabrina, and Ella are the only family that Sarah and I have. My husband's brother and family are in Chesapeake, Virginia.

Our hearts are really tugged. Sarah stated that she doesn't want to be a long distance aunt who only sees her niece a couple of times a year. Sarah has a home here in Florida, as do I, and it would be hard to pull up stakes and move...but...
I'd be interested in your input. Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

jel said...

Beverly I first pray about it , and if he wan't you to been with your kids , God will show you what to do!

andshe is a doll, and i do belive she look like you!

God bless

Karen Townsend said...

My. What a decision. I think it is natural that you would want to be close. If it were me, I would wait a bit and see if the inclination passes. It probably won't but that's what I would do. And watch the real estate market for receiving the best price when selling your house!
She's a cutie.

Susie said...

She's adorable. Having lived in the same town all my life, I can only tell you that I was always glad to be close to my grandchildren here in town. We have two other grandchildren who live several hours from here and although we love them dearly, we don't feel as much a part of their lives.
Will you be willing to relocate each time they do??

srp said...

I would agree that prayer will help in the decision. Will your son stay in the area there or want to go elsewhere? Having just moved back home, I can say that in many ways it is nice. But on occasion mother's, daughters and in-laws can live too close. Nyssa is actually a good distance... about an hour. Not too close, not too far away.

On occasion... like today... my mom will do something that makes me want to find a job in Seattle. But it passes.

Anonymous said...

All very good points, Beverly. In addition, I would just ask if your son is on board with it. Ella's cf probably figures in the decision or at least the motivation as well. I know that when my mother is in Florida for the winter, I feel the distance and it stinks. She turns 80 next year and I want to be able to see her as often as possible.

Anonymous said...

Look into your heart. Talk, talk, talk about it with all of your kids. And then do what you feel is right for you. Life is too short to spend it any other way.

TJ said...

Follow your heart my friend, and if finances allow and that is what your heart tells you to do then go for it!!
Happy One Month Birthday little Ella!!!
:-D

amarkonmywall said...

Oh, Beverly! Having just pulled up stakes and made a major move- well this is a tough one. I can understand wanting to be with family, esp. when you have some valuable care to contribute for little Ella. My best friend has a grandbaby with cardiac complications and they are spending most of their time (and $) going back and forth. I know she wishes she lived closer.

Roxanne asks a good question- will they be staying put for the foreseeable future? She also gives good advice. :-)

Moi? I'm never moving again!

kenju said...

Beverly, I would pray about it and also ask your son and daughter-in-law what they would prefer. I live 85 minutes from all my grandchildren, and I don't think I could stand it to be further than that.

What a pretty baby she is. I hope you are able to come to some decision that will please all of you.

Anonymous said...

If you were my mother and/or grandmother, I would hope to live next door, Beverly!

mommy to six J's said...

What a beautiful baby girl, Here is what I think if you are both felling that God is calling you their t help with your family. I say go for it and the Lord will lead you in all the rest of the details.
Char

Anonymous said...

Being new to your blog, I'm just sort of catching up, and I had to look at Ella's picture. She's beautiful!

I grew up in the same town as most of my mom's family, and within an hour of a few other members. It was a highly dysfunctional family, so there was a lot I could say that was negative, but at least I felt like part of a family. Two of my cousins grew up several states away, and we didn't see them more often than every two or three years. They were pretty isolated from us.

Then I married and moved away, putting me way too far from my only niece (no nephews). Until she was in her teens, I saw her less than once a year. I did not like that, at all.

Still, I agree that David and Sabrina have a vote, and prayer should dominate. For me, so much depends on the quality of family relationships, but my early life colors my opinion.