Friday, March 09, 2007

Take Me Out to the Ballgame, Part 2

The Pirates play at McKechnie Field in Bradenton. This field and seats were redone a few years ago, and instead of building a fancy, new facility out of town, they decided to stay here near downtown Bradenton. That made us all happy. Today the Pirates played the Tampa Bay Rays. Neither team has a stellar record. In fact, I don't believe either of them had won a game before today's game, and the Pirates beat them 5-2. It's going to be a long season.

I haven't seen too many young families here this week. I guess it isn't spring break up north yet, or else they're still frozen. At Monday's game, they announced the respective scores of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as being 25 and 20. Everyone laughed. Then the temperature of Bradenton was announced as being 70, and that brought cheers from everyone.
It's always fun having a friend along. My friend Peg and I have been friends since we were in elementary school. We lost touch for a few years ago, but we reconnected after she moved back to Bradenton. Monday we ate foot-long hot dogs; today we enjoyed a slice of pizza.

Spring training runs through the end of the month. The Yankees will be here Saturday. The Red Sox will be playing too. I don't have tickets for either of those games. I believe the Braves are coming too. AC, eat your heart out. I believe that game is sold out.

I intended this post to come second, and I tried publishing this one first, so that it would be on bottom, but I didn't succeed. Oh, well.

12 comments:

Bet said...

Looks like so much fun! I LOVE baseball. Looks like you're having great weather for it.

Paul Nichols said...

What a great way to start my day! Thanks!

AC said...

Beverly, you are killing me!!! I never thought you would tease me soooooo.... :-0 !

I am going to try to photoshop my own picture next to your obviously very happy friend...so I can be there too. what incredible fun.

I am not a hot dog fan but I intend to have one at the game we have tickets for, smothered in all the traditionals, whatever they be.

Karen Townsend said...

Looks like a great time was had by all! I know how good it is to re-connect with a childhood pal. I've done that here, too, in Houston and we make a point of having lunch and visiting together once a month.
Spring break begins in this house at 3:10 this afternoon. My son is jazzed!

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like fun!! Nothing says Spring better than baseball. :-)

Jamie Dawn said...

I don't enjoy watching baseball on TV, but going to a game is great fun!!

It is wonderful that you and your friend have known each other and remained friends for many years. There's nothing like a good friend!

Enjoy that wonderful, warm weather.
Happy weekend to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beverly got your message over on my blog thanks. Could you tell it on your inbox yesterday! I am not a big baseball fan but I do watch the Braves when nothing else is fittin to watch? Have a blessed weekend . Ron.

Anonymous said...

Looks like ya was having some fun there, My dad was a big Cards fans, my husband and I are big fans to!

srp said...

Here, Nyssa's college spring break is this week. She is in the dorm, almost alone and making her baked catfish for supper. She has dorm duty part of each day through Wednesday and then Thursday morning will go to Wakefield to spend the day at the National Weather Service. She will be home Thursday night and then return to Wakefield on Friday and Saturday. Then back to William and Mary on Sunday.

I don't think the public schools are out for spring break until the first of April.

TJ said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day for a game...and it is always good to share a day with a good friend!!
:-D

srp said...

Beverly, you asked about the macro shots. Actually I don't have a macro lens yet for the new camera. The best macros I've been able to do were with my smaller Canon digital that Stephen got me last year and from my really old Nikon Coolpix 995. But sometimes it takes a bit of working with it to get it to focus and it always does better with the camera on a tripod and plenty of ambient light. I don't think the Canon macro setting will flash at all and it really doesn't help the pictures. I have gotten some pretty good closeups with the new camera and zoom, especially of birds. But the zoom lens focal length is about four feet so you can't get it to focus if you are closer than that. I haven't read the whole manual and just got a book specifically about this camera.

carmilevy said...

Good on them for staying close to the heart of the community. That's what baseball should be all about, and that's what you've so wonderfully illustrated here.

Reading this delightful entry, I swear I could feel another jolt from the upcoming spring. It's coming...