Monday, April 23, 2007

Followup on a fall

Well, good morning. I'm here to report that I'm alive and well after my tumble on Saturday. When I fell flat on my face, my glasses were between my face and the ground. They got bent up quite a bit, but the very kind optician at W*l Mart got them pretty well aligned for me. They're a little bit scratched, but not too bad. My right wrist was very sore, and I wondered about carrying and handling Ella, but by this morning, the soreness is about gone. My neck is still a little bit stiff, but all in all, I feel fine. I am thankful not to have been hurt badly. I know that one of these days it might not be like that.

It has been a heart-wrenching experience being in Virginia this past week. As I've driven around, I've seen visible signs of support for those grieving at Virginia Tech and throughout the whole state. Yesterday, Sunday, I had planned to meet a lady whom I met in Bradenton who had come back home to Waynesboro. I had planned to go to church with her, but after I fell and was quite sore, I decided to stay home and give my body a chance to recover a bit.

I turned on the TV and found a church service from a church in Richmond. One of the young women whose life was taken had graduated from the church's high school in 2006. The service was, in a way, a memorial service to her. Members of her high school class, of whom there might have been 12 or so, spoke of her faith and her determination to live it out before her classmates at VT. The lieutenant governor of the state was in the service, spoke, and prayed for the whole situation. The choir sang "It is Well." How many times has that song brought comfort to hurting hearts! For the Christian, the loss is great, but we have the sweet and calm assurance that all is well, and one day we shall see Him face to face. Some just get that opportunity sooner than others; some, in our human way of thinking are taken before their time, but as the Lord gently reminded me when my husband was taken in an untimely death, He knows our days. My times are in His hands.

11 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Hi Beverly

I just checked in and saw you had fallen. I am so sorry to hear that you took a spill, but glad you are OK. These things come at us fast and furious sometimes.

I can imagine how grief stricken the entire state of VA is right now. It must be hard having to deal with such a senseless act of cruelty. We must all continue to pray for the families of those who were lost.

Susie said...

Glad you took some time to rest and heal after your fall.
My hearts are with the families of these VA tech victims.
Such a needless tragedy...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you are recovering from your little fall!
Prayers are still with the families!

kenju said...

Beverly, I am glad to know that you are recovering quickly. Soaking in hot water usually speeds that along.

I am sad for the families and friends. It will take them a very long time to heal.

Anonymous said...

Beverly I would chuckle a little bit but as many times as I fall in my backyard I just couldn't laugh ?Its got to where it don't bother me as much cause I don't have to worry about anybody seeing me in my backyard ! I pray that the VT students can get back on a regular routine. Blessings. Ron.

Karen Townsend said...

Lovely post. The comforts of Amazing Grace come to mind, too. It always moves me, I must say.

jel said...

Glad to hear that you are ok,
I did that last month, it's no fun!

and it is a sad thing that took place, at VT.


Ella , is a doll! :)

huggs

Anonymous said...

Beverly, I am glad you are feeling better. It is great to know God is there in the midst of trouble to give comfort and healing. Blessings to you.

Babette said...

Take care, dear Beverly! Thank you for the comforting reminders in this post. Give Ella a big squeeze. I have to be patient until May 2 to meet little Bruce. God's Peace.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Beverly. One of my friends in Compassion has several posts on his blog about VT; his wife was in a class, at the time of the rampage, and learned later that one of her professors was killed, along with some classmates.

Here I am, nearly to the West Coast, and I am torn to pieces by tragedies like this, whether in Littleton, CO; Virginia; NYC; or anywhere else. I can't imagine living in the same town where such an event takes place. It's a good thing God is Spirit and able to be with all of us!

Anonymous said...

I am very relieved to hear that you are ok after your fall. And thank goodness for the kind optician.

Such a tragedy at Virginia Tech. My heart breaks for the families and the victims.