Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hope

True hope dwells on the possible, even when life seems to be a plot writtenby someone who wants to see how much adversity we can overcome. --Walter Anderson



I have been thinking about the word "hope" a lot lately. We use the word so easily. "Well, I hope so." Hope seems to be tied in with waiting. Several months ago, I wrote about a young man named Anthony who was awaiting a bone marrow transplant at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati. Whenever his father would write in the journal at Caring Bridge, he would end his entries with this passage, Isaiah 40:31 and then write, "I will hope."



Last week Anthony and his twin brother, who also has Fanconi's Anemia, but who is not affected yet, were examined by physicians in Cincinnati. All of their tests show them well, and they cleared Anthony to go back to school, so this past week, Anthony began his senior year at Bradenton Christian School. Talk about excitement there. The school is such a great family, and everyone had been praying for and raising funds for Anthony and all his family's expenses.

On Wednesday of this past week, Anthony was back in class. You can read his story here.

I have been following another young person who had a bone marrow transplant about three months ago. Louise is still waiting to soar on her eagle's wings. She has had infection after infection and graft versus host disease. She has been gravely ill and remains so. Her liver is now affected. The doctors have run out of drugs to use. The family had researched and found a new drug that is not out yet, and they were going to try to get that and use it. In the meantime, the doctors have been doing plasmapheresis to try to help her condition improve some.

At the end of every update, her boyfriend, who has not left her side, asks for prayer and a miracle. Sometimes it seems that they've almost given up hope. But I guess the saying is true, "While there is breath, there is hope."

Rejoice with Anthony and pray for Louise that her miracle will come.

These verses from Jeremiah are a wonderful promise for those who hope and wait for God.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.


6 comments:

kenju said...

I will give thanks for Anthony and hope for a miracle for Louise. I don't like to pray for specific healing, because I think it is best to pray for God's will for that person.

Karen Townsend said...

Your deep faith is an inspiration, Beverly.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

What a great posting Beverly.

photowannabe said...

Thank you for reminding me that my Hope is in the Lord.
This is a lovely post done with great tenderness.
That verse from Jeremiah is is a life verse for me.

Anonymous said...

I marvel at their courage and can't help but wonder if I would be able to be as strong in a similar situation. My prayers are with them all.

Anonymous said...

I also love that passage from Jeremiah.

I lean heavily on James's letter in the NT, especially where the sick are told to call for the elders of the church, who will come and annoint the sick with oil (which was thought, then, to contain healing properties), and "the prayer of faith will heal the sick." And both Matthew (8:5-13) and Luke (7:7-10) told about the centurion with great faith. I believe we are to pray for healing, but always, as Jesus prayed in the Garden, "as You will."

And, yes, I realize not everyone is healed according to our wishes, hopes and--often--longing. But I don't believe that changes how we are to pray.

Just sharing my tho'ts. Sorry to hog your blog, Beverly!