Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Hymn for Sunday

Last weekend I was in North Carolina attending a wedding. As I drove from Virginia to North Carolina, I saw many beautiful views. The first one was the view from the motel room the morning I was leaving to come back to Virginia. I was reminded this week as I thought of a post using these photos my time spent in Haiti. The name Haiti means high ground. Four-fifths of the country is made up of mountains. One familiar saying in Haiti is "Deye mon, gin mon." The translation is "Behind mountains there are more mountains." And that is so true in that country. My job in Haiti was that of a school teacher for children of missionaries, four of the best years of my life. Today many of the young people that I worked with are serving in different places as missionaries. I considered it my privilege to work with these junior high students.

Whenever we were together as a school group or in a get-together with their parents, if they were asked for their favorite song to sing, often they would suggest the hymn, "Unto the Hills." The words truly expressed the thoughts of Psalm 121 as the psalmist wrote of our heavenly Father who watches over us day and night, never sleeping .


Unto the hills around do I lift up my longing eyes.
Oh whence for me shall my salvation come, from whence arise?
From God, the Lord, doth come my certain aid
From God, the Lord, who earth and heaven hath made.

He will not suffer that thy foot be moved, safe shalt thou be.
No careless slumber shall his eyelids close, who keepeth thee.
Behold, He sleepeth not, He slumbreth ne'er.
Who keepeth Israel in his Holy care.

Jehovah is Himself thy Keeper true, thy changeless Shade;
Jehovah thy Defense on thy right hand Himself hath made.
And thee no sun by day shall ever smite;
No moon shall harm thee in the silent night.

From every evil shall He keep thy soul, from every sin;
Jehovah shall preserve thy going out, thy coming in.
Above thee watching, He Whom we adore
Shall keep thee henceforth, yea, forevermore.

May your Sunday be blessed with His presence.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

photowannabe said...

Thank you Beverly. Its a beautiful hymn. You got me thinking about Haiti too. I loved going way back into the bush hills to Popeye(I know that's not how its spelled, but I haven't a clue what the proper spelling of the village name is)The sunset was beautiful and God put on such a fantastic lightening show for us. It felt so special.

kenju said...

Beautiful photos, Beverly. That area reminds me of being in Wytheville, VA. We have stayed at motels there, and the foggy mist coming out of the mountain valleys in the early morning is so beautiful.

Ruth said...

I play the piano for a monthly service in a local nursing home. This hymn is a favourite and is often requested. The picture is beautiful!

Karen Townsend said...

Lovely photos. I like foggy ones. Those made visions of the Smoky Mountains flash in my mind and driving in the mountains there. Scary but beautiful to see.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm so glad you stopped by to visit my blog.
The photos here are gorgeous.
What an intersting four years that must have been in Haiti! I'm sure you cherish those memories.
The words of the hymn are wonderful too.

Your Bella, Ella, is adorable!!
How neat that the photo captured the photo of your husband too.

Anonymous said...

Neat pic's! And I love the words of the hymn, but I don't think I've ever heard it! That's really hard to believe. Other than the psalmist, can you tell me who wrote it?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful hymn!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful scenery. God's presence is demonstrated in so many ways.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Such beauty. Oh I just love the mountains. And here I sit in flat Florida.

Go figure.