Sunday, May 25, 2008

A trip to the museum

Bradenton is the home of the South Florida Museum. It is located just across the Green Bridge by the Manatee River. Our museum houses Manatee County's resident manatee, Snooty, who will be 60 this summer. When my children were small, I bought a family membership so that we could go whenever we wanted without having to buy a ticket each time.

The museum has recently undergone major renovations. Some of the exhibits still need to be put back in place. One day, after Christmas I was there, and saw this neon sign of Bradenton. When I was a little girl, we would go to Lacoochee to visit my aunt or to Starke or Trilby to visit my grandparents. Whenever we got back to Bradenton, I knew we were home because this sign was at the end of the Green Bridge all lit up. I felt like it was my special greeting, "You're home now."
I have no idea of the date of this garage, but just take a look at the price of gasoline...also look at the car. We wouldn't be wanting to ride around in a vehicle like that today, but in its time, it was probably quite the machine.
Fifteen cents a gallon? What did you pay today? Yesterday I drove to St. Petersburg to have lunch with a friend. Fifty dollars didn't fill my tank, and it wasn't even empty. But we got a good deal on lunch! B*nnigans has a lunch deal with 10 or so entrees and beverage for $4.99. My friend and I each had one of the specials and then we split that wonderful Brownie Ice Cream dessert. The total bill was $15 and some change. Such a deal. Spending the money for gas was worth it...good food and a good time with my friend.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I vaguely remember old Shell signs like that, too.

I don't know how much it would take to fill my tank, now, especially if it were empty. It nearly was, a couple of weeks ago. I refuse to put more than $40 in it at a time, and that time, it filled it only to 3/4 full. Disgusting.

kenju said...

I don't remember gas being that cheap. I do remember 20 cents and a quarter per gallon, when I was in high school. That old pump looks like something from the 30's and early 40's. By the time I can remember, they were more modern than that. I got gas at Sam's Club this week for $3.77, which is just about the cheapest around here (most of it is $3.95 and up.) I stopped the pump at $35 (20 gallon tank) and I think I had at least 1/4 tank when I went there.

Today I went to the grocery, and I had a bunch of coupons that will expire on the 30th/31st. They totaled $16+, and I spent $183.99 (for just the 2 of us, inc. coupons!). I( cannot imagine what we will be eating in a few months if the prices keep going up!! Probably beans!

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a good time - good food and good friends. Gives you a lift and makes you feel good.
Too bad the ridiculous gas prices spoil things for everyone. Wish there was a cheep alternative to fuel our cars and heat our homes.

Putz said...

finally some pictures of where you live. i looked you up on an atlas and you are really out of the way

denverdoc said...

Am I the only one wondering about this 60 year old manatee? Does it just swim around in a tank by itself? Does it have a lady manatee? Details please, and perhaps a picture!

Jamie Dawn said...

Gasoline is TOO high for sure, but I'm glad you didn't let that stop you from going to have lunch with your friend.
15 cents a gallon - what a dream come true that would be!!

Bellezza said...

I paid $4.05 last week, filling up my Passat for 52.50. Sigh...my husband keeps referring to Revelations where it says a day's wages for a loaf of bread. It's hard not to get scared sometimes, like when I paid 1.00 apiece for four apples at Jewel the other day, but we're in His care. I'm glad you had such a good time with your friend.

podso said...

I was hoping for a picture of Snooty! Can't believe he is 60! Our kids used to love visiting him and watching him eat that ton of lettuce!