Last year I didn't put up a Christmas tree. I don't really know why. I had other decorations around, but I decided that this year it would go up. A few years ago, I bought a pre-lit tree on sale and thought it would be so much easier. The only problem with it was that it was fairly flimsy and the branches didn't support the weight of many of my ornaments. I had ordered it from a catalog and so ordered it sight unseen, more or less. Anyway this year Sarah came over and helped me put up the older one that I've had for a long time. After she left I started putting the lights on. That's a job in itself, and I didn't do it all in one day.
Finally today I put the ornaments on. Yes, I know it's the 15th of December, but I plan to leave it up until after Ella comes January 1. As I pulled the ornaments out of the boxes, memories or early years of my marriage and memories of my children when they were younger washed over me. Don and I started going to DisneyWorld after we were married. We went every year around the holidays and every year I would look for a Norman Rockwell ornament to hang on the tree. They date back to 1974 and some of them have faded a bit. I know that somewhere along the way, a couple of them have gotten broken.
Strawberry Shortcake made her presence known in our house, along with her friends. She has been on the tree for 28 years or so. Also on my tree are many of the ornaments that were given to David and Sarah by my husband's parents...ornaments for the granddaughter and the grandson. They haven't claimed them yet for their own trees, and so they go on mine. Sarah, with two cats, has chosen not to put up a tree.
I love this little guy. When David was three, the one thing he wanted for Christmas was a "fishing pole with a crank." His pre-school teacher must have heard his request, because when he opened his gift from her, here was an ornament of a beaver with a fishing pole with a crank. He got his fishing pole as well.
My tree isn't very artsy, and it isn't picture perfect, but it's full of many wonderful memories of Christmases past.

14 comments:
Memories are the most important. glad you put your tree up.
I love this post Beverly...and I'm really glad you put your tree up. I get nostalgic when I put my tree up too. The ornaments bring back many memories for me too. I've even passed many of the older ones on to my kids...ones that were specifically theirs through the years. I have so many anyway...I wanted them to have theirs for their own trees now and to start their own traditions. To me that's the whole idea of what ornaments should mean. I see you feel the same way. Merry Christmas Beverly.... Hugs, Joy
what a really wonderful, touching and memory-provoking piece, Bev......so nice. Thanks!
i'll bet all those Norman Rockwell ornaments are terrific...I started with a tree with only little toys but it's branched out since then (you should pardon the pun!)
I did have to chuckle at your comment about the kids "claiming" (or not) their ornaments. Several years ago, my two children raided the tree--claiming various ornaments. So I had less--but amazingly, I had just enough.
We didn't put up a tree last year (when we went to London, UK for Christmas with our daughter) but we did this year. It looks great!
It's amazing how just looking at a familiar Christmas ornament will awaken a multitude of memories.
Artsy trees are not the best ones, Beverly. I love old ornaments collected over the years, and that is what we have on our tree. I used to add 3-4 every year, but now our tree is full to overflowing, so I seldom add new ones.
MY DUAGHTER beczty insists on a live tree that smells every year...well mny are the ways of getting a live tree..i just realized i have not had a fake tree any of the 44 years i have been married...i don't know if that is good or bad...sometimes at the top of the mountain, skyline drive nnoooo the skyline drive in utah, sometimes digging it out in the state land foothills{because we forgot the saw} and sme times it was so big it fell and broke ornaments and had to be wired to the side of the house
Oh, I love it! All the history...layers of years and memories. Beautiful.
one of the best parts of Christmas is the evening that the tree gets decorated. Every ornament has it's story and we pretty much tell every one. It takes forever but we wouldn't have it any other way.
thanks for sharing your stories. =D
This was a bit of a tear-jerker, Bev!
I loved going down memory lane with you today, Beverly.
Great post...
xoxo
and Happy Holidays to you and your family....I know that you can't wait for Ella to arrive!
Beverly
I find that Christmas is all about memories. I have ornaments that my Mom placed on her tree as a little girl and I even have one that belonged to my Grandmother and I have ornaments that I have collected my entire life. It is amazing the way memories float up when you begin unwrapping each ornament. Thanks for sharing your memories with us today.
I love your classic ornaments. My sister and I went a little wild this year and put up 3 trees- when I have the time I will post photos!! Merry Christmas!
Christmas memories of love and family times are what makes the holidays so special. We celebrate the birth of Jesus, and we remember all the years of holiday joy we've had with family and friends.
I wish you another memorable Christmas.
I love the Strawberry Shortcake ornament!
Ella will enjoy seeing that tree.
Post a Comment