Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 30, 2002

We woke up just like any other day. Don got ready for work and was off, and I went over to church to answer the phones while the staff was in its weekly meeting. I came home at noon, checked some e-mail, and after a while started to get ready to go to the gym. When I got up from the desk, I looked out the window to see my pastor's wife coming to the door.

I welcomed her in, and she told me, "We need to sit down." And then the date April 30 was etched in my mind forever. Don's life had been taken in an accident. Seven years have passed. Each year, not just on the date, but leading up to it, emotions still run the gamut.

This is my favorite photo of him. Sarah posted it on her Faceb*ok page tonight, remembering her dad. I had often kidded him that when he died, I was going to lay him out in his work clothes because that was the way that most people knew him. I didn't, but I often wished I had. That was what he was most comfortable in. I know most of you have read my previous posts about Don, but if you haven't, you can find them here and here.
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

jel said...

(((((((((HUGGS)))))))))

podso said...

I love this picture--it is so Don. You've done so well these seven years, Bev, but I know you miss him so much. We all do. What a great guy he was and such a help to everyone. Always with a smile.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Sending you lots of love Bev....and many big hugs.... ~Joy

Beverly said...

I am thinking of you tonight....
Hugs...

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

What a wonderful photo of your husbnad.... my thoughts are with you today also.

Reva said...

What a life we live. Those last moments become so important in our memory when our loved one is gone. I lost my 21 1/2 month old on Feb 2, 1984 and each year is still the same.
I am so happy you have good memories and good pictures like this one of him when he was the most happy and comfortable. Take care!

srp said...

Hugs are floating your way right now.
Nothing here on earth can fill that emptiness... but, aren't we blessed. What joy that we KNOW we will see our loved ones again! This deep joy and peace comes only from God and bubbles up through the pain and loss.

I love this picture, Don looks so happy... God's love shines on his face. .... (are those sideburns? I remember when guys had those... now, looking back it is one of those "what were we thinking" eras)

Mother of Invention said...

Just checking in on some old blogger friends.
I guess you will always hold this day as a special tribute to a wonderful man. Your Faith has continued to keep you going on your own. Tou have such strength.

Hope things are going well.

Island Rider said...

I should know by now not to be surprised when htigns like this happen anymore, but God had put you heavily on my mind this week. I have been praying for you, but didn't know why. It did cross my mind to check our files at work, that it might be coming up on this anniversary of your husband's homegoing, but I did not know that for sure and was not at work to check. So, know that God cares about you enough to put you on the hearts of people who will pray for you.

Susie said...

You must miss him so much. As I told you on FB, I pray that your wonderful memories give you comfort.
xo

JeanMac said...

Such a great picture of Don. I feel for you and send love.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
What a great pcture of Don!I have to agree with whatsomeone posted earlier, you have been remarkable! Prbably when you least felt like it.
HUGS
XOXOXO
Debra

photowannabe said...

I just got back to reading your blog and I want to send you my HUGS and love too. I'm sure it really never gets easier when part of you is no longer there. I am so glad that you have the Lord and your dear family to surround you with their love.
Great shot of Dan. To me it does show who he really is.

KGMom said...

Beverly--hugs hugs hugs being sent your way from central PA. I remember when I first started reading your blog, and found the stories about Don's death. No words can express my thoughts & prayers for you as you continue your life's journey without him.

Jamie Dawn said...

What a devastating loss for you and your kids. Seven years is not that long ago, so I know you must miss him terribly and still grieve so much. I've lost several loved ones, but it's those who are closest to us that we feel their loss the most. That kind of loss changes our lives forever, and there is simply nothing that fills that void. The great comfort is knowing you will see your beloved husband again.

Anonymous said...

Beverly! I'm so, so sad reading this post! What a terrible shock to receive such news, and how very brave you are. It is hard to endure the separation of those we love, even though we know one day we'll meet again. I wrap my arms around you, my friend.

Clara....in TN said...

Beverly, I did not know that you lost your husband seven years ago. I started reading your blog afterwards. But I went back and read the posts about him and the comments from your children and the letter from your daughter to her Dad. How sad. May God's love fill the empty spot in your heart!

Z said...

Oh, Beverly, I know we all wish that you'd never suffered this amazing pain. Love and hugs to you, dear heart. And thanks for sharing Don with us...he looks like SUCH a very very good guy. love...xx z

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I did not know it had been 7 years and i do remember Don and his beautiful singing voice and his work clothes. Rembember when he did all the chandelier work for Eunice in her condo? that is when i knew him a little better. thinking of you and your pain today. and of course Sarah and David too.