Sunday, June 14, 2009

Turtles Can't Fly

Note: I didn't have a cute photo of a little turtle, so I used this one of a tortoise that I saw at Sarasota Jungle Gardens not too long ago. The following is from Steve Goodier.
A determined little turtle once climbed a tree and made it to the first branch. Then he jumped into the air waving his front legs and crashed to the ground. After a while he slowly climbed the tree again. And again he jumped.
This time he flapped all four of his limbs, but still plummeted to the hard ground. The persistent turtle tried again and again with the same results. A couple of birds perched on a branch nearby watched his futile efforts. One of them turned to her mate and said, "Dear, don't you think it's time to tell him he's adopted?"
There are simply some things we cannot do. Turtles can't fly.
Comedian Bob Hope once thought of pursuing a career in boxing. Later in life he quipped about it: "I ruined my hands in the ring" he said. "The referee kept stepping on them." Fighting is something he could not do well.
But he became a great comedian.
Lots of people have ability and talent. And most people have an idea about what they think they can do. So why do some excel but many do not? The famous American caricaturist Al Hirschfield explained it like this: "I believe everybody is creative and everybody is talented," he said. "I just don't think that everybody is disciplined. I think that's a rare commodity."
The secret seems to be discipline. Whatever ability we are born with is not enough. Even raw talent requires discipline to be nurtured and developed. And enough hard work and discipline can turn the most meager skill or ability into a great strength. A man jumped into a taxi cab in New York and asked the driver, "How do I get to Yankee stadium?"
The cabbie replied, "Practice! Practice! Practice!" He's right. And although discipline and practice may never get a turtle to actually fly, it will probably get you and me just about wherever we want to go.

10 comments:

photowannabe said...

This is great Bev. Enjoyed it. Great illustration of life.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
What a timely posting! I have decided it was the right time in my life to finally "get fit". I have always struggled with exercise, but now I am "disciplining" myself to a routine everyday. I feel better about myself when I accomplish my goal.Everyday, it's a struggle, but it's a good one.

srp said...

It looks as if we must all get fit... I suffer from the discipline thing in that area. If the health care passes it looks as if those of us more portly will have to lose weight to be able to get medical care... of course think of all the bakeries and ice cream places that will go out of business and how many people are employed by the restaurant business and fast food places... it is all interconnected this web of government we have woven.

I love the little story of the turtle... a nice bright touch for the morning.

This morning:
air conditioning people in putting in wiring and pipe, moving drains, moving dryer vent.
measuring for fan,
possibly putting in the small windows at the top of the cupola
and whatever comes up.

kenju said...

Arthur Godfrey used to say that you could learn to do anything with just 15 minutes of practice per day. I guess it didn't work for the turtle....LOL

Wendy said...

I enjoyed that story - and the pic of the turtle. He really looks big! Maybe it's time to get into shape! Practice my writing, practice my photography, things I love, but don't spend nearly enough time on.
Hugs

srp said...

I just got back from this month's JOY club and I told this story to a retired minister there... I thought he was going to fall in the floor laughing ... thanks.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on the topic of discipline. I just read Eat Sleep Sit this Spring, and while I'im not in any way a Buddhist monk (of which the book tells), I was very impressed with the life of discipline they must live. I wondered where discipline in America has gone. Who (including me, sometimes) says no to what they want? I have to be carefuly in an immediate gratification society.

I also liked your story about hands stepped on in the ring/we all have our own talents. It's hard to find them sometimes, but we must.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post.. so very true. And as for the little turtle.. can't help but hope that if he truly wants to fly.. he will find a way. :-)

MadSnapper n Beau said...

the message in this post is exactly what I told someone who told me they loved photography and wanted to learn how to edit the pictures like I do, but just can't find the time. My answer was, desire and discipline and practice. Love the tortoise, i have many happy shots of him. I love Jungle Gardens, thanks for the comments on my blog

Fred said...

Speaking of turtles, I was golfing yesterday, and two huge turtles were crossing the fairway.

Great post!