Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Lacoochee Then and Now

I'm going to try really hard to blog more.  When I'm away from home, there seems to be more time. When I'm home sitting with my computer, I see all the things that I should be doing.  When I'm away, I don't see it, so....

I changed my header photo yesterday.  The name of my blog is "Lacoochee Kid."  Lacoochee is a little town in Pasco County in the state of Florida.  I was born there way back when there was lots of activity.  Lacoochee was a "company town."  The Cummer company operated a cypress lumber mill there, and my father was a foreman for the company.  We moved away when I was just turning four, so my memories are a bit dim.  However, I did go back and spend time with my aunt and cousin at various times.

The photos in the collage are some of the remains of Lacoochee.  I do remember my parents saying, "When the war (WWII) is over, we're leaving Lacoochee," and they did.  They moved to Bradenton, and that is where I grew up and where I live today.  The lumber mill closed in the 50's.  Another company came in, but there is nothing there now.  The old mill is there, but the hotel, the commissary, and all the houses are gone.  Lacoochee does have an elementary school, but I have never ventured far enough to find it.

The street markers in the photo are reminders of the past.  Lewis Abraham's father owned and operated a drug store on the main business street (the only business street) of the town.  I think if Lacoochee had had a mayor, Abe would have been it.  His drug store was a favorite meeting place.  I have a picture on my wall at home of him and his wife in the drug store.  I'll post that another day.  Abe came to the States from Syria, established himself, and then went back for his bride, and brought her to begin their lives together in America.  His son, Lewis, is well-remembered in Pasco County for his business acumen.  Abe had a daughter, Lorise, who has written much of the history of Lacoochee.  Someone named her the "Lacoochee Lady."  My first cousin was first cousin with Lewis and Lorise, so I feel connected to them as though they were family.

The last photo of the old house isn't actually in Lacoochee.  It is in the little town of Trilby, just a mile or two away on the other side of Highway 301.  That house belonged to my daddy's parents.  Before my parents were married, he lived there and rode his bike to work at the mill each day.  The house was close to the railroad tracks.  My granddaddy worked for at the train depot there.  Between the house and train depot was a field of phlox.  I loved seeing those flowers, and they always remind me of my grandparents.  I don't know who owns the house now.  The last time I went by, it looked as though someone is using it to store junk in.


Not much remains of Lacoochee now, but much of the town can be seen in the Pioneer Florida Museum in Dade City.  I love to visit there and remember.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I love this post so much. Years ago we returned to my grandmother's hometown and birth place in Arkansas and found remnants of a town much like Lacoochee. These places need to be remembered and shared for future generations. Once bubbling lively towns now standing silent but filled with memories.

(Beverly think about getting rid of word verification. Not many use it anymore and lots pass up commenting because of it.)

kc bob said...

Nice walk down memory lane!