Monday, May 16, 2016

Farewell...Part 3

When I started to write these posts, I intended to write memories about the school.  Instead, I wrote more about my own personal experiences. To those reading this, who are not former or current employees at Orange Ridge Bullock School, the school is being closed after being open since 1958.  Children are being placed in schools around the county, as are members of the staff.  This Saturday there is to be a gathering of those who worked at the school over the years in one capacity or another.  Because I had just been in Florida for a week, I had thought I would not return, but I really wanted to be there, so I'm going.  I look forward to seeing Barbie and Skipper again.  Yes, they taught at our school.  Some of you will know to whom I am referring.

Looking back over the years, there are some times that one would probably like to do over again or wipe out completely, but hopefully learn from.  Some of us who worked there stayed for many, many years.  Others stayed for a while and then moved on.  We used to say that if anyone wanted to be a principal in the county, he or she must, first of all, have taught at ORB.  

We were a family.  We celebrated babies being born.  We mourned with those who lost a child, a spouse or a parent.  We laughed and cried together.  And, like a family, sometimes we disagreed with each other or got really mad.

I'm so happy this reunion is taking place, to give everyone a chance to see each other one last time in the setting where we spent so much of our adult lives.  Adieu.

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Adieu? Hope you will also post about the reunion.