Saturday, August 25, 2007

In honor of cats

There are many whose blogs I read who are lovers of cats and have one, two, or five or seven cats in their house. I have recently become acquainted with Grammie, who recently had to put her dear Gizmo to sleep. He was with her for eighteen years, just like my Color was. We have more in common than cats. She became a first-time grandmother last September, and she is going soon to help her dear little grandson celebrate his first birthday. I so enjoy reading her posts about him because I so identify with her emotions. Stop by and say hi, and tell her I sent you.


Samson, Sarah's cat that she adopted from the Humane Society


Tucker, Sarah's firstborn. Tucker had surgery a few months ago, and his mass has returned. He's going to the vet on Monday to see what can be done.


Samson and Tucker looking longingly at the out of doors. I love the way their tails curl. Samson looks little in this picture, but he is one pudgy guy. Tucker is long and lean while Samson is short and squat.


Color, who came to live in our house when she was seven weeks old. She especially loved my husband who loved her back. He had never been one for cats until she came to stay with us.
I was sorting through some books this afternoon and came across one of my cat books, Poetry for Cats, by Henry Beard. He has rewritten poems by famous poets in literature. When my daughter was in high school, she loaned the book to her English teacher, who put a couple of the poems on a test, to see if the students could recognize the poet. See how you do.
The Hairball and the Mouse
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's cat
I chased a mouse beneath the stair.
It went to ground I knew not where.
For, so swiftly it ran, my sight
Could not follow it in its flight.
I coughed a hairball in the air.
It fell to earth, I knew not where.
For though my sight is sharp and true,
I saw not where that fur-bullet flew.
Sometime afterward, quite by chance,
I spied them both in a single glance.
For the mouse in a corner lay dead
A hairball lodged in his tiny head.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

L. said...

Thank you, Beverly, for your kind words about my blog. The feelings are mutual as I feel as though I have found a real friend in you through your blog. I so enjoy reading your posts especially since our lives seem to have so many parallels.

There is something about "cat lovers" that I find very special...and you are no exception. The pictures of your cats were so touching...I totally enjoyed seeing them.

I am counting the days ahead until I head to Minnesota and Owen's first birthday. I can't wait to share this joy with you upon my return.

Take care,
xoxo
Grammie

Anonymous said...

I like your cat photos and the short and pudgy one as you said reminds me that my son, who lives in Florida, and a pro photographer in West Palm, has a "fat cat." Really fat.

Thanks for your comments about the bird on my blog today. I appreciate that. I have a bird blog at oldmanlincoln.blogspot.com and also a website that has a lot of pictures on it at oldmanlincoln.com if you are interested in seeing more photos.

I am in the process of doing books on the two blogs.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Beverly- I've been playing catch up here this evening, loving the cat photos and hoping that Tucker will find a fix. We've been laughing at our cats- they are both so glad we are home after a week away that they have been bringing "gifts." McCloud, at 22#, brings us skeins of wool- really large ones- and tries to convince us that he has brought big game. Tonight, little 8# Sophie escaped and raced across the street to the one house with a big yard and a short while later she was back with a baby bunny. :-( She was SO proud, it was hard to be cross with her.

And then I was enjoying Ella cheering on her team and the back to school post and then I got to Anthony and Louise. This one is so tough for me- I really love this young woman and my dear friend, her aunt. The verse is right and we continue to pray for her and Josh- they are both far too young to endure such hardship but we work to turn that over. Just before coming by here I said to Rich that I needed to check on any Louise update since I missed yesterday, flying home. It's been almost nine months she's been at this now.
I AM pleased and so happy about Anthony- so we'll keep the faith here and hope for a good recovery for Louise, too.

Thanks, Beverly

photowannabe said...

Hi Beverly, this is a great post. I love the take off on the Longfellow poem.
To answer your question on my blog. No, I just went through the vendor listing and didn't see CF listed. The exhibitor response is growing every year so if there is a local branch and people willing to man a booth I would expect them to be there next year.
ALS, Celiac Spruce assoc., Autism, United Cerebral Palsy were some of the agencies represented.
Being new to the church and this particular event perhaps I can put a plug in for CF as they plan for next year.

Clara....in TN said...

Thanks Beverly for the comment on my blog about my cat! I missed him so much today. Your cats are so pretty! I have one more cat but he can't take the place of Puddy Cat. But I told him yesterday...he is number 1 now! Clara

Anonymous said...

Cats are such amazing creatures and I feel honoured that Bear graces my home. With two goofy dogs also in the picture.. Bear tends to add a certain amount of class.

I am so sorry to hear that Tucker's mass has returned. That is sad news indeed.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I adore all 5 of my cats, but Abby has my heart hook line and sinker. I am very sorry to hear that Tucker's mass has returned. I hope there is good news in his future.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog. I do appreciate it.

AC said...

Funny, reading the poem I heard it recited by Bullwinkle in my head...I AM and English major, after all!!

Now I have a pudgy cat - small head and large below. Probably her head is really normal sized and the rest of her is giant pear shaped. Then I have her sister who is quite slim. Go figure.

Sweet pictures of Ella.

My first MLB game was great though it was over 100 degrees even by game time. When I can get a spare hour I'll post some pictures, but wanted to stop by and say hello to you.

Anonymous said...

The surgeon has not recommended a 2nd surgery for Tucker. Now we are going to consult a veterinary oncologist and get her take on it. Should know something hopefully Friday, but could be Tuesday. To me, money is not an issue in taking care of him, but to an extent it is an issue. If the oncologist does not have a good outlook, the tumor will just continue to grow in Tucker until he becomes so uncomfortable he can't stand it or it erupts inside of him. I can't imagine losing him. So, your prayers for this situation are coveted. Thank you, Tucker's mom. Sarah