Thursday, April 16, 2009

Floral-Carmi's theme

When I drove to Virginia a couple of weeks ago, I saw spring in its many different stages. In north Florida, I saw the trees bursting forth with new green leaves. I arrived at my friend's home in North Carolina where there was a fair amount of new life. As I traveled further north and arrived at my son's house, some of the tulips and daffodils were out, but not a whole lot else.

Having lived in Florida and Haiti for most of my life, where we, of course, have the four seasons, it is hard sometimes to distinguish one from the other. We have deciduous trees, but the season is so quick when their leaves fall. The new ones are there immediately. The spring green is there when one takes the time to notice.

And so I have enjoyed these two weeks of seeing new life erupt everywhere I look, and when I return in a few weeks, everything will be in full bloom, awaiting the summer season. Ella and I have enjoyed walking around the neighborhood, enjoying the flowers and listening to the birds singing. The robins have been bobbing about. She thinks they should be still while she approaches them.


Look around you - winter is over.
the winter rains are over, gone!
Spring flowers are in blossom all over.
The whole world's a choir—and singing!
Spring warblers are filling the forest
with sweet arpeggios.
Lilacs are exuberantly purple and perfumed,
and cherry trees fragrant with blossoms
Song of Solomon 2
For more photos of flowers, visit Carmi's blog.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

srp said...

And the dogwoods... as you drive down through the mountains, you see the whites and pinks all over... it is lovely. Here the wild wisteria finally broke into bloom last week and it is marvelous! I wish it would last all summer! And my late planted daffodils are producing small thickenings... early buds... I may have daffodils after all... the latest ones in the area but that is perfectly fine with me.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots, but where is spring?

http://aguthrieimages.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/thematic-photo-45-floral/

kenju said...

Beverly, I think you will really enjoy driving back south. Now we are in full bloom - trees, dogwoods, wisteria, azaleas - it is the very best time of year here in Raleigh, all except for the horrendous pollen.

Jamie Dawn said...

Around here, spring is springing and singing!
I love it too!!!!
God's handiwork is pretty awesome!

Anonymous said...

Being able to live anything through the eyes of a child always increases the wonder. Thank God for the children and what we can see and learn through them. And as for spring... I am loving it. :-)