The other day on FB I mentioned that I was giving myself a birthday present of a gift to California. For some years now, I have been a follower of Photowannabe, a delightful lady who lives near Sacramento. Through blogging comments and photos, we have realized we have so much in common and we talked about how nice it would be to get together.
A couple of weeks ago, I took the bull by the horns and wrote her and asked if it would be possible to come out so that we could meet. She agreed it would be a good idea, and so on Wednesday, I flew into the Sacramento airport and met Sue and her husband.
Let me tell you, it is a long ride from Tampa to Sacramento. On the flight from Atlanta to Sacramento I had a window seat which was not my preference, but that was all that was left, except for middle seats, and I surely did not want one of those. I guess the Lord knew all about it because the little lady sitting beside me was barely five feet tall and little. Thank you, Lord. I was quite interested to look out the window at the cloud formations and the topography of the land. What a beautiful, varied country we have. This delightful couple had spent years teaching in Lutheran schools, and since retirement, have spent much time in Thailand teaching English as a second language. We found that we had so much in common, and that helped the time to pass more quickly that it would have otherwise.
If you have had the good fortune to meet a fellow blogger in person, you know how you start talking to each other as though you've known each other a long time. It's a wonderful experience. I highly recommend it.
When I spoke of coming, Sue asked me if I would like to go to San Francisco for a day and maybe Lake Tahoe for another. Needless to say, my answer was a resounding yes. So yesterday we went to San Francisco. Sue's husband grew up in the city and has been a tour guide so I had a wonderful tour. I saw a few places that the regular tours would not go.
We had lunch at the Cliff House, right on the Pacific. Seated by the window, we looked out at Seal Rock. I didn't see any seals, but lots of birds. If you click on the link, you can see photos of the Cliff House and read about its remarkable history.
After driving down the very crooked street, Lombard Street, we passed by Fisherman's Wharf. Our final destination was the Golden Gate Bridge. I like the particular photo above since it shows one of several container ships that we saw pass by while at lunch. More to come...
13 comments:
What a wonderful time you must be having!And a great picture! When was your birthday, did I miss it?
I know you are not supposed to envy someone... but I envy you. In Tahoe you will be only 45 minutes from Nyssa. Lake Tahoe is so beautiful in summer or winter.
what a wonderful gift to yourself and so glad you got to meet Sue. her blog is one of my favorites. i am a little jealous. i would like to meet Ginny for sure. i have seen quite a few that go to visit their blog friends. glad you had the opportunity.
Glad ya had a good time!
Wonderful -look fwd to your updates.
i am so glad to hear you are having such a good time!
i have a picture of SF from the exact same location!
Yes, I know how nice it is to meet a fellow blogger and find that instant knowing! Glad you are having such a good time, Bev.
So glad you decided to make the trip Bev. Sounds like you really are enjoying everything. It brought back memories of the only time I've been to San Francisco...way back on my honeymoon. However, I'll be making another trip to CA in Oct. (Oakland) to see my new granddaughter...and I may even get to San Fran for one of the days when the BlogHer Food Conference is there the weekend I get in. Take care... ~Joy
Bev sounds like you are having a great time!
you were lucky to be there on such a good day!! When I was in San Fran last summer we could hardly see the bridge!!!
What a great meeting. I have had two close opportunities to meet blogger friends and circumstances arose keeping me from getting together with them. The saddest was the first because she died five months later. Cannot wait to hear more about your visit.
How wonderful that you got to meet a blogging friend face to face. Sounds like such a fun time.
comment is missing in action on the lazy blogger post. the photos are fantastic. i love that fort and would love to see it
Post a Comment