Would you like to travel on this bus? In the three and a half years that I lived in Haiti, I never did board a bus quite like this. It didn't cost much (for me) to travel like this, but I chose not to. If I remember correctly, three people were seated on one bench seat, and then a jump seat was That wouldn't go with any safety code here, would it. And if you will notice, there are riders and livestock on top of the bus. The more the merrier.
I lived about 120 miles from the capital of Port-au-Prince, and, depending on the condition of the road, it could take up to twenty-four hours to travel that distance. Whenever I went to the capital, I chose to go by air. When I was there in the early 70's, the airline consisted of DC-3's, big propeller planes that were very reliable. On our end, the airport was a cow pasture. When the plane was approaching, the person in charge would get out on the field and blow a whistle for farmers to get their cows off the field.
I posted this photo before in another blog post. This motorbike meant freedom. Because of the condition of the roads and the cost of a four-wheel drive vehicle, almost all of us had a dirt bike which we used for traveling. I probably never traveled more than forty miles from my home on the bike, but I loved every minute of it. Sometimes it was very challenging.
I would never get on a motorbike here in the States...well, maybe on a trail, but surely not on a main road. I must confess I enjoy the comfort of my car. I used to say that a car was simply transportation. One didn't need all the bells and whistles. But...with the few that I have, I surely enjoy them.
For more photos on the transportation theme, visit Carmi's blog.

10 comments:
You look right at home on that bike, Beverly!!
Great photo Bev~
The older we get, the more we want, need, and appreciate comfort. I have seen the bike picture before, but this just strikes me. Why were you wearing a dress, that must have been awkward!
Awesome pictures. Aren't those buses something else? The crush of humanity is amazing.
I can not imagine traveling on that bus .. we take so much for granted here. But I do like the motorcycle. :-)
I loved the picture of farmers herding the cows out of a field in preparation for the airplane. How often did the plane run?
I rode in tap taps...quite the experience. Our driver hit a cow once outside of Port au Prince. I have a fantasy here of getting a little pink motor scooter but like you would not ride it in the city!
Love that pic of you!
I remember this pic Bev...and I love it. I think you're braver than I'd be...although it DOES look like fun.
As far as that bus? No thank you. I'll stick with the comfort of a car too.
Love the photos, thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment