Friday, July 28, 2006

Why We Love Our Cats

I started to name this blog "More About my Grandkittens", but then it took a different turn, thus the reference to Color's not being a grandkitten.

No, this is not one of my grandkittens. This is Color, the kitten who at eight weeks of age worked her way into our hearts and stayed there for eighteen years, before she left us. I remember the first night that she was with us, she ran and played and then just lay down in the middle of the family room floor for a little nap before resuming her activity. My husband, who had not been particulary fond of cats (he had never had one,) fell in love with her and she with him. Every evening when she heard him in the garage taking off his work shoes, she would sit at the door, waiting for him to come in so that he would pet her before he did anything else.
Now, these are the grandkittens, Tucker and Samson. They fill my daughter's life with joy (except for the early hours of the morning when they want something to eat.) That seems to be a common occurrence among cats.

The other evening I went with her to PetSmart to get some cat food. Before she got the food, we went to the room that had cats available for adoption from the Humane Society. One particular Tuxedo kitten reached out to me. She's just a little over a year old, and did she ever play. Then there were a couple of others, who looked wistfully with their big eyes, saying, "Pick me."

When my granddaughter (no, she isn't here yet, but SOON) is about three months old, I'll be going to Virginia for about a month to take care of her. When I come back home, I plan to adopt a couple of cats. I know there will still be plenty available. I do love reading about all the cats in the blogs. Some of the cats even "speak" for themselves.

On the back page of this month's Good Housekeeping magazine, there is a page that is titled, "Why We Love Cats and Dogs." Some of the descriptions of cats are: Supersoft pink paws, their love affair with open boxes and rubber bands, rhythmic purrs and full body stretches, their haughty independence combined with their constant need to be near you, and many more...These are by Alice Oglethorpe.

I know that many of you who read this blog could add many, many more reasons why you love your cats (or dogs.)

Me-ow for now.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

TJ said...

what a sweet love you have for the kitties...I'm afraid both of my children and grandchildren have allergies or I might think on getting on...they seem less messy than a doggy.
:-D

Karen Townsend said...

I've had kitties in the house since I was a teenager and my parents finally allowed us to have pets other than birds or fish! When my husband and I married we started aquiring cats, too. Our first four were Scarlett and her litter mate, Prissy, then Rhett found us and then Beauregard. We are out of the GWTW stage now and are only living with one cat, Oreo. Cats are great housemates.

kenju said...

I have had cats almost non-stop since I was 7-8 years old, as well as dogs from age 4 to age 55, I think. There is nothing like the unconditional love of an animal. Mr. kenju had never had pets before we married - but I soon converted him.....LOL

srp said...

There is a quote that goes something like this: A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other. They give us love when we are unloveable and when life is dark and hope seems gone, they snuggle close and purr as if to say "it will be OIK." I thin dogs and cats are God's special angels of hope.

Anonymous said...

I love all the cat/kitty
stories too. We have 2 from the local Humane Society. Our most recent one is Mitten. He's a rascal for sure. We went to K-Mart to buy childproof locks for the laundry room cupboards because he took the spare door key out of the cupboard and hid it behind the 'fridge! We found the keys 3 months later. Our cats have been the joy of our lives and we love them and they love us. Mitten is asleep in front of me now, hiding the bottom of the monitor.
Peggy