Friday, April 04, 2008

Surprised?

I actually do take photos of subjects other than Ella. While I was in Virginia, I took the opportunity to wander some of the country roads around my son's community. Farmland is still in abundance although some development is taking place. Hopefully, laws are in place to preserve this part of the country.

The Appalachian Trail, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Skyline Drive are all close to this area. There are many Mennonite churches here, almost like Baptist churches in the South. I love being here because there is still Southern hospitality to be found.

It's interesting how we become accustomed to our surroundings and don't really pay attention to the beauty around us. I found that the longer I was there, I didn't find the views breath-taking, Living here in Florida (which I've done almost all my life) has almost the same effect. I've always taken the beauty for granted. It wasn't until a trip north in January once and then coming home and driving across the Sunshine Sk*way that I realized just how beautiful it is here and why people want to be here during the winter.

Beauty is all around us. We just have to stop and take a look.

11 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly you are so right, there is beauty all around us all we have to do is take a look and see with our hearts...

JunieRose2005 said...

Yes! Every place has it's own beauty!

And it seems when we go from home we tend to see these different scenes as something MORE appealing than what we have in our own lives! :) ...and , in the past, we (my husband and I ) have even fantasized of moving to different places- all on the evidence of beautiful scenery...

But I have come to realize that- all things considered- Florida's beauty , and it's over all appeal, can match any place that I know of! :)

I LOVE my home !

Junie

photowannabe said...

I think its good to go away. It sharpens our senses when we come back. There is so much variety around us. I hope I never become dull to it. Photoblogging does help keep my eyes open.

JeanMac said...

The colors in that picture are so beautiful.

carmilevy said...

I like your perspective on the beauty around us, Beverly. Sometimes, I almost have to force myself to pay attention to my surroundings, because I'm usually too preoccupied to notice it by default.

Maybe if I carry my camera around more often...hmmm...

Gorgeous picture, by the way. I love how the mountains backstop the trees, while the farmland just kinda rolls right up to the viewer. Beautifully composed.

Shammickite said...

I consider myself very lucky. I live in a country town, surrounded by green fields (well, they are muddy grey at the moment) with lakes and forests not far away. Unfortunately, the town is growing and much of the farmland is being lost to housing estates.

AC said...

I was thinking of taking some spring photos too, as I've gotten bogged down the dreary doldrums with all the rain. Our daffodils are blooming and I saw 5 deer yesterday in the back. There is beauty.

kenju said...

It is true that we get used to the beauty around us and it is always helpful to go away for a while and come back in order to realize it again!

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm in Savannah, GA, and I am thoroughly enjoying the natural beauty as well as the architectural beauty of this great city. The Spanish Moss in dangling from the gnarled old oaks, and it is truly dreamlike.

I think springtime makes us WAKE UP and notice the beauty of God's creation.

:-)

Beverly said...

Everyday as I drive to work, there is a point when I see in the distance, a church cross in the sky. The church is high on a hill and so as I approach and the sun is rising, it softens my feelings and I say a prayer. Even though I see it all the time, it takes my breath for a moment.

Simply Coll said...

Spring is finally taking hold here in Southern Manitoba. Beauty abounds.