Monday, July 03, 2006

Abraham's Drug Store

I should be cleaning my house. I should be getting ready to leave on Thursday for ten days. I should...I should...I should...but here I am.

Some of you may wonder why I chose the name, "Lacoochee Kid", for my blog. Lacoochee is the town in Florida where I was born. I was only there until I was four, but as I've gotten older, and studied the history of the town and its people, I've come to love it. I said in an earlier blog, that I had thought Lacoochee was a bad place. I can remember hearing my parents say, "When the war is over, we're leaving Lacoochee." They must have seen that the saw mill business would not go on forever. Indeed the saw mill did close in 1955, and many of the residents did move away. My parents just chose to move away 10 years before that.

 
The photo above is a little blurry. It is a photo of a photo. As the photo is blurry, so is my memory about a lot of things in Lacoochee, but I'll never forget Abraham's Drug Store. Elias Abraham immigrated to the States, found a place to live, and then went back to Syria to get his bride. Lacoochee, which was pretty much a company town, did have a string of stores on its main street, one of which was the drug store. In my memory, it was big, but as I look at the picture, I realize how small it was.

As with any good drug store, you could get almost anything you needed here. What do I remember? Ice cream. And I'm sure there were only chocolate and vanilla...maybe strawberry, but with chocolate, who needs anything more.

Elias, or Abe, as he was called, has been gone for a while, and Abraham's Drug Store is no more. His son, Louis, who became quite a force in Pasco County and Dade City died three or four years ago. His daughter still lives in Dade City, and she is the one who has filled in a lot of gaps that I didn't remember about Lacoochee. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Susie said...

I kind of wondered why you chose that name! Interesting look back in time.
Enjoy your trip....

TJ said...

Me too...but as I used to work in a call center for State Farm I thought I recognized the name...Very interesting history you included.
:-D

srp said...

Have a great trip.
Mom tells of working in a store in Roanoke before the days of the cashier at a check out. The girls at the counter would take the money and the ticket and send them up in an air tube system to a central room where change was made and a receipt printed or typed up. Mom worked in that little room, making change and writing receipts. No windows, just the swoosh of the air tube and clinking of change. Stores have changed haven't they.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I have a strong memory of a drug store from when I was young. My Dad's part time job was working there. I too thought it was huge, but of course it wasn't. Amazing how time changes everything.