Many years ago, when I was much, much younger, I lived in Haiti. I was a schoolteacher of children of missionaries. Three and a half years were spent doing a job that I loved in a land that I loved as dearly.
Probably one of the things that I always found interesting was how people carried things...on their heads. Little children began by wrapping a cloth in a ring, placing it on their heads, and then placing their load, whether it was a book, or a small dish, or perhaps some fruit.
I was always amazed at how erect the people were as they carried their loads, and while I'm not a student of physics, I'm sure that carrying things on the head makes much more sense than holding the load in front of you or propping it on your hips.
A former co-worker of mine sent this link today. Take a look at it. None of the loads are being carried on the heads, but I believe that you will agree with me that these individuals do not lack in their ingenuity. Who needs an SUV or a pickup? They're already green.
16 comments:
Hi Beverly, thanks for visiting my blog and your kind remarks. I just looked at the link and all I can say is Oh My!!!!Amazing...Last year I went on a short term mission trip to Haiti. It was truely a wonderful experience. Look at my archives for about August 15, 2006 or so. I posted pictures from that for almost 2 weeks.
I will be back to see your blog again.
Sue of photowannabe
Bev, I just looked at my archives and if you go to Aug 6th 2006 and scroll down to the bottom and work your way up you will start at the beginning of my trip. i hope that made sense.
We landed in Port au Prince and then flew to Hinche. Where we lived on a compound.
Wow. Traffic laws must be pretty lax and traffic accidents spectacular. Smelly, at times, too.
Wood to build bridges or repair bridge planks must be scare or expensive. Apparently there's no highway dept. to file a complaint with or they really, really don't care.
You survived Haiti during Papa Doc's days? Did you learn the language? Did you need to learn this mode of transportation?
The first thought that came to mind as I scanned the photos was:
"Where there is a will, there is a way". :-)
Beverly that is amazing enginuity and the way they carry their goods is as coll siad "Where there's a will, there's a way". Blessings to you for sharing this. Ron.
Now that is amazing... I think the one carrying the mirror and the one carrying the eggs would shock me the most. The first one walking over the rope part of the bridge with a baby... don't look down... that is really frightening.
The guy on the bicycle over the raging water? How is the bicycle staying up?
Wow...those were amazing...also amazing is that my fridge is no bigger than the one in one of the pictures...lol...I would love to get a side by side...I've never had one!!
Also the dad with the children...one clinging to him and the other in a basket??? So unsafe!!!
That would be a lot of scrambled eggs if that man dropped those!
Those are amazing! I especiall liked the last one (who needs a family sedan) and the one with the pigs in the basket.
especially, sorry!
The rolled up pigs had me laughing so hard! I need to print that one out.
When we had pigs we had some pretty funny experiences with them. No one had a camera though. Just as well. Still nothing like the pigs in the blankets.
The ball games and a convertible? What a great idea. I've got quite the case of the "if only's". I should change it to the "why not's" shouldn't I?
Just saying hello Beverly (finally), and thanks for stopping by. Yes, we certainly had a lot of snow during that week, and we still have it. Should see some melting soon as the temps are beginning to warm up.
These pictures are unbelievable. Some people have nerves of steel! That's some ingenuity!!
I wondered the same as kenju about the bicycle!
As for the pigs in the baskets...that one made me want to cry for the pigs! Can you imagine how that was for them??
Wow those were amazing.
Wow...did I say WOW!
Bev,
What great pictures, all I
can is a big WOW!!!!!
Post a Comment