Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

I seem to have been around the world reading blogs the last two days. Some blogs are such fun to read; some are beautiful; some are very thought-provoking; some are very emotional. Yesterday the gamut ran from reading about poop at the zoo to reading someone's very emotional reaction to his ex-girlfriend's abortion twenty years ago.

My blog has no theme to speak of. I post a photo occasionally, photos of Ella often, post something I read in an e-mail. I read a post yesterday that made me pause and think for a while about the Lenten season that is upon us. I was not raised in a liturgical church, and so observing Lent had never been part of my Christian experience. In just the last few years, though, in part because of my son, I've gotten out of what I would call my comfort zone in my somewhat narrow view of my Christianity.

When my husband was taken in an accident almost five years ago, David had just graduated from Penn State and was still in State College working with a campus ministry organization. While a student, he had been mentored by another student who was a member of a reformed Presbyterian church, and David became acquainted with the liturgy of the church and really grew to love it. When he came home for the service for his dad, a young man named John came down to be with him during that time.

We were sitting around the table talking one evening talking, and we began talking about churches and modes of worship. John told me that he worshipped in an Episcopal church, and one of the reasons he worshipped there was that he said is is so ADHD that he could concentrate on his worship, unlike what he had experienced when he went to church with a girlfriend of his, in a service that was, shall we say, not so formal.

One of the authors that David introduced me to is Lauren Winner, who has written a book, Girl Meets God. In this book, she speaks of her journey to faith in Christ, and she speaks of embracing the liturgy of the church. She is a bibliophile, and when Lent came about, someone asked her what she was going to give up. She thought about it and decided that she would give up reading for Lent. That would be for her truly like going without eating for those forty days.

In a blog I read yesterday, the author stated that she would once again not be blogging during the season, but rather would direct her thoughts Godward. That gave me a lot to think about.

This is a wonderful season for the Christian as we look forward to the day when we remember the resurrection of our Lord, as we do each Sunday, but more so on Easter. In writing this, my mind goes to a hymn that we used to sing a lot during our communion services at church.
I gave My life for thee, My precious blood I shed,
That thou might ransomed be, and raised up from the dead
I gave, I gave My life for thee, what hast thou given for Me?
I gave, I gave My life for thee, what hast thou given for Me?

My Father’s house of light, My glory circled throne
I left for earthly night, for wanderings sad and lone;
I left, I left it all for thee, hast thou left aught for Me?
I left, I left it all for thee, hast thou left aught for Me?

I suffered much for thee, more than thy tongue can tell,
Of bitterest agony, to rescue thee from hell.
I’ve borne, I’ve borne it all for thee, what hast thou borne for Me?
I’ve borne, I’ve borne it all for thee, what hast thou borne for Me?

And I have brought to thee, down from My home above,
Salvation full and free, My pardon and My love;
I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, what hast thou brought to Me?
I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, what hast thou brought to Me?

Frances Havergal

Have I given anything?

Hymn from Cyberhymnal

8 comments:

kenju said...

Hmmmm.....I don't think I have ever given up anything for Lent, but blogging would be the thing to give up - if I were of such a mind to do it. It would be like pulling out my fingernails, one by one.

AC said...

Beverly, I'll tell you something you give, every day. You are a testament to your faith and your love for your family and friends shines brightly from you. I receive comfort and inspiration from you each visit.

srp said...

Worship is in our hearts. I have a fondness for the old hymns but there can be worship in the new praise choruses as well. Living our faith so that others can see and say... I want that too, is how we best repay God's sacrifice.

I do love remembering the words of all the old hymns that so many have forgotten. They are deep, thought provoking and so timely for today.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I agree with SRP... living the life of faith is (to me) the important thing.

I saw a man interviewed and he survived a horrific plane crash, he said he saw illuminating auras surrounding the people on the airplane and some were brighter than others. His interepretation was that the brighter the aura the more that person had been for lack of a better term, a 'good person'. He said that he was not up to that point a very religious person, but he was determined to become a better soul by becoming a better person and becoming more giving.

Talk the talk, walk the walk.
It's important to BE what we SAY.

Anna said...

Wonderful post...very insprational. Thanks!

Karen Townsend said...

I know what you are saying. I was born and raised in the Presbyterian church. I never participated in the observance of the rituals of Lent. When I was a student in a Catholic girls school, however, I did give up something each year, mostly as a token of friendship to my circle of friends. As a Protestant, I was definately in a minority in the school! I gave up chocolate. That, my friend, is a sacrifice for me! I haven't given up anything for Lent since those high school days.

Anonymous said...

Beverly, your blog is a wonderful place to visit. I often find peace in your words and I love to keep tabs and see pictures on little Ella.

Anonymous said...

I was also not brought up in a liturgical church. After my divorce, I began attending an Episcopal church with a friend and was there for about 9 years. We did not often do the "high-church" liturgies, for which I was thankful because, for me, some rituals seemed empty. But I learned to love and appreciate the Rite II litany that we used routinely.

My pastor, there, encouraged us each year to think outside the box of Lent as sacrifice, only; he asked us to think what we could take on that would be healthy for us and beneficial to someone else. I never was very good about any approach to Lent, however, but I do realize it has great meaning to many people.