A Successful Show
I determined today to blog before reading anyone else’s. I’m constantly amazed at some people’s blogs. They’re incredible. One, in particular, has become my favorite. She writes about her daughter, her cats, her dog, and posts incredible photos with appropriate literature selections. Her own writing is so well done. If I knew how to put links in my own blog, she would be at the top of the list. I’ve read the directions and tried, but I haven’t been successful yet.
Last Saturday, our local Sweet Adelines group, the Magic of Manatee had its annual show. A whole year’s worth of work culminates in that activity. We spend the year learning new music and choreography and spend the first Saturday of every February entertaining about 1600 people who come to our performances.
For those who don’t know, Sweet Adelines is an international organization that promotes singing in “barbershop style.” Our group is approaching its 50th anniversary as a chapter.
I sang with the group when my children were in elementary school and junior high, but then I became ill and didn’t have the stamina for it. After I felt better, David was busy with baseball and basketball, and that took precedence. After April 30, 2002, when Don was taken in an accident, my life changed a lot. Someone from the group asked me one day how I was doing, and I said that days were pretty much the same as ever, but nights were difficult. She said to me, “I know just the place for you.” I told her that I had been thinking about coming back to chorus. I did, and that has been probably the best thing that I have done since Don died. We practice one night a week, sing out in the community, and several of us get together on Saturdays to see a movie and have dinner together. Our group is one that cares for each other, and that means so much to me.
At our show, we not only sing, but we have a guest quartet. This year we had a group called The Humdingers. They go by another name in a place in Orlando…they can be found at any time on Main Street. They were so entertaining…after the show we have an afterglow where we let it all hang out. They did for us their act that they did while we were backstage. They were full of corn…funny guys…just lots of fun.
Now we get ready for regional competition which takes place in Orland the end of April. We will present two songs, one ballad and one uptune. So after this evening of letting our hair down a little bit and enjoying a video of our show, we’ll begin working hard again.
4 comments:
Barbershop quartet style music is great. It's so nice to hear and understand the words and the harmony is top notch. Congratulations on your groups long history.
My brother sang in a quartet while in college and now sings opera in Europe. I can carry a tune but that's about it. Has your group ever made a tape or CD?
I have heard of the Sweet Adelines. How wonderful that you are part of this organization. I wish I could attend one of your concerts. I can't really sing.. but I love to listen and always enjoy a good song. :-)
Hi there! Thank you so much for your great reading recommendations! I am planning on picking up her book this afternoon after I visit the Bird Sancturary with my nine year old's class. Thanks to for coming by my site. This, to me, is what it's all about! Much love, in Him,
Karyn
Beverly, thanks for your kind comments!
The Clinch Mountains are in east Tennessee. That line about "10 in the morning/3 in the day" is a song about a coal mining town in Kentucky and its not quite that bad here, but we do have hollows and coves that stay shaded by the mountains longer that what seems normal for the general area.
I feel the same way about Melange and eventulally I figured out how to list blogs in the sidebar. I don't know if I can explain it though.
I've heard of the Sweet Adelines too. I'm glad to read how much fun you are having!
Post a Comment