Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lady in Red



Color came to live at our house when she was about seven weeks old in 1987. We had ventured into the pet business earlier in the year with a white kitten, who unfortunately had feline leukemia. The vet had immunized her, but we decided later that her mother must have been infected, because her owner said she had gone off and never came home.

After what the vet said would be a safe amount of time to introduce another cat into our home, we looked in the newspaper for a kitten needing a home. As a result, Color came to live with us and be a part of our family. She fell in love with my husband. Every day when she heard him come in through the garage, she would sit at the door and wait for him to come in and make over her.

Often at the dinner table, she would jump up on a chair and sit with her nose sniffing around to see if there might be something that she would like.

One evening when she was three or four, I left the house to go for parent conferences at our kids' school. When I went out the front door, she scooted out in front of me. We looked for her; I went on to the school, This was on a Tuesday night. We looked everywhere, called the SPCA and Humane Society, but she didn't turn up.

Every morning when my husband was praying with the children before taking them to school, he would pray for Color and could hardly talk. On Friday morning, I had come down stairs before Don, and I heard a cat in the back yard by the pool. I went out, and there she was...ready to come in. There was pink paint on her back...no telling where that came from.

The children had the day off from school, and so they cared for her. When I called them to see how she was doing, they said that her fur was coming out when she licked it. After I got home from school, we took her to the vet, and he shaved off the painted fur and gave her a shot against infection.

After that episode, I didn't worry about her too much if she got out. She knew the way home. However, we made very sure that she was nowhere near us when we opened the door.

More to follow....

3 comments:

srp said...

What a lucky kitty. I am such a sucker for "down-on-their-luck" animals. It must be written all over my forehead, they just seem to find me.

Anonymous said...

I love the name, Color. I bet your hubby was happy to learn she had come home. Lucky kitty :-)

AC said...

I do love calico type cats. I had one named "Green" "so the winters will not fade her" (Joanie Mitchell)

We've lost so many cats to the outdoors lately - probably the coyotes from the nearby mountain - so now our catdoor is blocked off. The two house cats look at the windows with twitchy wiskers but so far have never escaped. On the other hand, I have one barn cat who is almost 18 years old!

I'm glad Color got back okay.