Sunday, July 23, 2006

More about Chicago

On Wednesday evening before our conference started, a large group of us went on a boat tour. The weather could not have been worse. It didn't rain, but as you can tell from the photos, the clouds had rolled in by late afternoon. A couple of years ago when I was in Chicago, my friend and I took one of the architectural boat tours up the river. It is a must if you ever visit the city.
As the boat left the dock, we entered a lock and waited for the height of the water to equalize before going out into the lake. This particular ride went along the shore for quite a way. The docent told us that Montgomery Ward was responsible for keeping the shore free of high-rise buildings. There is a beautiful park along the water. As we rode past we could see Soldier Field, the Shedd Aquarium, and one of the several museums of Chicago.
.
Before I wrote this post, I searched for quotes about Chicago. Most all of them spoke of the corruption of the city and how unpleasant it can be. But Dear Void, a blogger from the DC area, has an entry about Carl Sandburg and his thoughts of Chicago. Read it here.

6 comments:

Susie said...

My husband's whole family is from Chicago. His parents came to CA in the late 1940's. It's always interesting to see pictures of "his roots"

Anonymous said...

Very appropo. A refreshingly different blog category, too. Literature.
I could read about the city with broad shoulders all day long.
I found Chicago to be different from other big cities. What astonished me most of all was that people actually would hold the door for me and sometimes I wasn't all that close! They waited.

Beverly, thank you for all of the nice comments you left this weekend on various posts at Blessings. You took serious time and went back and read stuff I had praactically forgotten about (Like Rifle Range Baptist Church!)

Have a wonderful week.

kenju said...

Mr. kenju has been on that boat tour. Too bad you didn't have better weather.

srp said...

I love the fog and clouds rolling in around the tall buildings. Along the shore there are two round tall apartment buildings where my brother stayed during his last Phantom stint there. The view from his balcony was fabulous. You could see the big pier with the ferris wheel.

Karen Townsend said...

I like how the fog from the clouds is surrounding the buildings. It's beautiful and creepy at the same time. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos of clouds and fog. I have never been to Chicago... maybe someday.