Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Are You Renewing Your Dream?

This article rang a bell with me this morning when I read it, and I think that it follows well on "The Land of Sandra Dee." I think until about the age of 50 I kept thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up. After a while, the feeling passed, thinking it was probably too late to start on something else. These days I spend time keeping my heart beating, and my eyes seeing. I do keep a rather busy schedule, but sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. My month of taking care of my granddaughter has nearly come to an end. My, how I have loved being with this little baby and thinking of all the future holds for her. I sit back and admire my son and his wife how they have taken hold of the situation with her health and are doing everything in their power to see that she is as healthy as she can be and realizing that the rest is up to God.

Enjoy this post received once again from www.lifesupportsystem.com.

"Grandpa," a young girl asked, "were you in the ark with Noah?"

"Certainly not, my dear," Grandpa replied in astonishment.

"Then," the puzzled child continued, "why weren't you drowned?"

Maybe he seemed older than Noah to her, but seniors may be finally
getting respect they rightfully deserve. Hugh Downs reported that
when senior adults are properly motivated, their intelligence does
not wane. In fact, the ability to organize thinking may increase as
folks age. Many people in their 50's, 60's and even 70's can go
through college with greater efficiency than at 18.

Adults over 70 years of age have contributed richly and in varied
ways.

- Emmanuel Kant wrote his finest philosophical works at age 74.
- Verdi at 80 produced "Falstaff" and at 85, "Ave Maria."
- Goethe was 80 when he completed "Faust."
- Tennyson was 80 when he wrote "Crossing the Bar."
- Michelangelo completed his greatest work at 87.
- At 90, Justice Holmes was still writing brilliant American
Supreme Court opinions.

And then there's George Dawson. George learned to read at age 98. (He
was forced to quit school when he was a small child in order to help
support his family.) "I got tired of writing my name with an 'X,'" he
said. Four years later, at age 102, he wrote his autobiography, LIFE
IS SO GOOD (2001, Penguin Group).

Dreams are renewable. They need not expire like an over-due library
book. No matter our age, we can breathe new life into old dreams.
I believe that the best age is the age you are, but something even
better awaits just ahead for those with the courage to dream and to
act.

Are you renewing your dreams?

7 comments:

AC said...

A very, very good question.

kenju said...

Yes, I try to keep myself thinking and learning everyday. Blogging helps, as does working.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Excellent posting Beverly.

It's all too easy to just take the path you become accustomed to because it is easier to do. Change although difficult can bring great reward.

srp said...

How do you know what I need for the day? Wonderful, hopeful post.

Anonymous said...

My greatest inspiration to keep trying new things has been my Mom. She attended university classes in her 70's. She is 85 now.. has poor vision and requires a walker to ambulate.. but she is still willing to try something new. Way to go Mom. :-)

Babette said...

Yoga allows practitioners to grow stronger, more flexible, and more balanced, mentally and physically, as they age.

Namaste, Beverly!

Anonymous said...

I retired from the work force on Sept 29 of this year and am so happy to read this info on the old. that is me now, 62 and waiting to learn, live, work, have fun. thanks Bev
Sandra H