Sunday, June 10, 2007

The One-Room School

At the historical park in Man*tee County is a one-room school house which was in Bunker Hill. The interior today has been replicated to show what it was like in the early days. If you enlarge this photo and read about it, it mentions B. D. Gull*tt who was a teacher and then later superintendent of schools here in our county. We have a new elementary school here in our county which has been named for him. I have a very good friend here in Bradenton whose husband is the grandson of this gentleman. His brothers and sisters will all be coming to Bradenton for the dedication of this new school.


Did you ever go to a one-room school? When I taught in Haiti, our school had two rooms, one for the lower elementary classes and then one for the upper and junior high classes. I was able to get a little bit of the feel of a one-room classroom since I had grades seven, eight, and nine together in one room. This classroom also reminds me a bit of "Little House on the Pra*rie."

Back in those days, you wouldn't want to sit in the corner. Someone would surely tell your parents, and then you'd be punished again when you got home. It isn't like that today, though, is it.


Our county still has a one-room school. It is out in the county, and the residents of the area keep fighting to keep it. The county, for economic reasons, would like to close it and bring those children in to the larger schools, but so far they have not prevailed. Only time will tell.
If you go here, there is a poem about a one-room schoolhouse.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

photowannabe said...

It does remind me of Little House on the Prairie. Great and interesting shots, Beverly.

Anonymous said...

I never went to a one room school although my schooling did have the same simple values such as if you got into trouble at school you got the same or worse at home and so on and so forth!
That one picture does look like the school/church on Little House series!
:)

kenju said...

My mother and her siblings went to a one-room school and were taught by their father, who was the teacher and the principal!

Did you hear Mamacita on Fausta today?

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Very interesting pictures. No, I did not go to one room school houses, but my father did and he said that there were many grades in that one class too. Amazing how quickly everything changes isn't it?

srp said...

My dad went to a one room schoolhouse out in the country. I do believe his was smaller than the one you have pictured here. There were six grades in one room and I have a picture of him with the other little first grader as well as the rest of the group.

Anonymous said...

Times have sure changed, haven't they. I so enjoyed the story and the photos. My mom went to a school like that way back when on the Saskatchewan prairie.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bev, I loved the one room school house and if anyone wants to see it in a movie, it is on my website. it is titled Historical Village.
I love Anna's photo of the day and it was good to see you yesterday. Keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Sandra, AKA the Madsnapper two web sites
www.photoshow.net/madsnapper and www.madsnapper.photostockplus.com