Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ella's Laughing Eyes

Well, I thought I would have a photo a day for my blog. For one thing, it's hard to catch Ella still to catch a good pose, or I'm not quick enough. Then by the time evening comes and I go upstairs, I'm not into posting. I've been enjoying everyone else's posts in the meantime. Last evening we were at the table and after Ella's daddy got up, she decided to climb up in his chair. I had my camera in hand, so David took it and snapped these photos.

Days are full with a toddler. One's work is never done. Of course, I don't have to tell any mothers that or anyone who is a caregiver. After my first day of taking care of Ella, I was ready for bed. She's such a good baby, but very busy, and one wouldn't want it any other way. She loves to go outside and see the birds, feel the breeze, and run her hands through the leaves, and pick up tiny sticks and whatever else she sees.

During the day we look at lots of books. Probably her favorite is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." I know that many of you are familiar with that book. I picked up the DVD of it some months ago and gave it to Ella. Her daddy says that she likes it. Yesterday she brought me the DVD case. After I figured out how to play the DVD (I'm not really too technologically challenged, but there are lots of buttons to push on David's remote) we watched it, and watched it, and watched it. She seems mesmerized by it. I finally turned it off because her parents don't want her watching too much.

She has several CD's with kid's music on them that someone gave to Ella right after she was born. We listen to music a lot, and she loves to dance. Some of her moves are hilarious.
With CF, because of digestive issues and problems with failure to thrive, a high calorie diet is required. Ella has breakfast, then she has a snack, then lunch, another snack, and then dinner. The nutritionist encourages high calorie, high fat and salty snacks. Cheese is a great snack, peanut butter on graham crackers makes another great snack. A CF diet goes against everything that we're trying to incorporate into our diets today...low fat and low salt everything.

When I first began reading about CF, I read a post by a mom who said that she had to have a completely separate cabinet for her child's CF snacks because she (the mom) was gaining so much weight. David mentioned how hard it is not to pop anything into your mouth that she doesn't eat, and I understand completely. Every little mouthful adds up.

Ella went to the doctor on Monday for a throat culture to see if the Pseudomonas is still there. She has a few more days on the inhaled drug and then has a month off. Her doctor put her in a drug study, so her treatment is paid for.

This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I so fully support that. Dear friends have had breast cancer. One of my cousins died at 33 from breast cancer. I do wish that there was more Cystic Fibrosis Awareness. The number of people with CF is relatively small. There are approximately 30,000 in the United States with CF. A genetic disorder inherited from a recessive gene that both parents carry. When both parents have that gene, there is a 1 in 4 chance of having a baby with CF. Unless there is reason to suspect it,parents are not routinely tested.

Fortunately for Ella, Virgina had just begun newborn testing in March before she was born in August of 2006. Florida just began testing July 1 of this year. Only a little over half of the states do routine testing in newborns. Early detection is one of the keys to having a healthy baby and toddler.

Well, I could go on and on, but I won't, but I will write more at another time. Thanks for checking in and reading.
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

K M F said...

nice post and cute

Karen Townsend said...

So, Grammie, when are you starting the process of CF Awareness Month? Do it as a state thing, then national from there. Contact local chapters, then your state government for guidance.

You can do it!

Ella is so stinkin' cute! She has eyes like yours, you know.

L. said...

Oh Beverly...that Ella is to eat up! So cute....I am smiling for you to be spending so many wonderfully exhausting days with your precious granddaughter!

...continue to enjoy and post when you can...I love to hear about how she is doing and what the two of you are up to!

Take care,
xoxo
Grammie

photowannabe said...

Ella is so sweet. She goes straight to my heart. Its exciting to see how she is thriving. I'm glad the Dr. put her in a study so all the meds are paid for. What a blessing that is.
Try to rest when you can and enjoy every minute with your dear Grandaughter. They will be precious memories.

Bet said...

Sounds like you're having a grand time! I'm glad.

JeanMac said...

Oh, that pic should be framed. It's just so sweet. glad you're enjoying the visit - they do have boundless energy!
One of our friends has an 11 years old daughter with CF.

AC said...

Its great to hear from you and about Ella. She is so adorable. It makes me want to get out Jenny's baby books and boo hoo for how quickly the time passed.

Glad all is well.

kenju said...

She doesn't look as though you'd have to worry about "failure to thrive". Mr. kenju and I would LOVE her diet!!

KGMom said...

All mischief in those eyes.
And I find the informative parts of your post most interesting. A good friend of ours--a pediatrician--has specialized in CF. He is now retired, but he is a source of info on the subject.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're writing your observations of Ella and things you learn from anywhere about CF, when you have these long visits with her. I mean, besides what you share in your posts. Such a log could be very helpful to people, when you start your CF Awareness nonprofit (or for-profit?) organization. Better to have a written record than to go on memory, later.

Go for it, Beverly! Who better to do it?

Meanwhile, just keep those pictures coming! I agree--she definitely has the look of a thriving toddler!

Susie said...

Adorable photo of little Miss Ella!
Our grandkids always loved the Very Hungry Caterpillar too. It was the first one D learned to read all by himself.
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Beverly ,

You don't have two say how much you are enjoying your visit with Ella.

I can imagine how much fun you are having ? My 5 that live in Thomasville are out of school for a week and I have enjoyed them this week . They about to wear Paparon out !

Them photos of Ella is priceless ! Its one of the main blessings in our senoir citizen days that makes everyday a a blessing !

Blessings.
Ron.

carmilevy said...

You can go on and on whenever you wish. A family friend lost their daughter to CF when I was very young, and it's been a constant presence in our family ever since.

I love how you write about her with such reverence.

Anonymous said...

Beverly, I am so glad you are having a great time. The picture are priceless. I know that she is such a wonderful blessing to you!!

Froggymama said...

Ella is so beautiful. I read somewhere that kids with CF have a special spirit. The docs and staff that work with them have noticed their tough nature, resilience, and sense of humor at a very early age. I know that to be true with our daughter. Thank you for the post. Newborn testing is so important. We didn't know until Froggy was four months, and by then she was so malnourished and ill. It's a miracle that she's the healthy girl she is today. Hopefully someday everyone will have newborn screenings. Because once you know, you know how to keep them healthy!

Anonymous said...

You've got an award at my place...I'll be back later to read your post.

Anonymous said...

She just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

Hugs to all!

Ruth said...

We have a lot of CF in our area. It is quite prevalent in the Mennonite community. Our local universities have a big fund raiser during Frosh week in September which really increases the profile if this illness. I have worked in the CF clinic for many years and great advances in treatment have been made since I started in 1975.

Clara....in TN said...

She is so cute! Don't we just LOVE those grand blessings????

Beverly said...

Just great pics. I admit when I first saw it, I thought she a black eye, or both were bruised. After I enlarged the pic i saw it was the reflection of her eyebrows on the table. lol
She is so precious, I do hope the Pseudomanias is gone. I know what you mean about how tiring it is to care for a toddler, I now realize why only the young need to be parents!!!I know I used to do it myself, but, man is it hard now!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the photos. So much joy behind those bright and beautiful eyes.
Lucky grandma. :-)