Saturday, December 22, 2007

O Come, Emmanuel

I called my daughter this morning to tell her where I would be during the day. She commented that I hadn't posted since Monday. I guess she checks up on me that way. I've been reading everyone's posts and commenting, but I haven't posted all week.

I was reading over at Jamie Dawn's about the nostalgia that arises during the Christmas season. Sometimes it's happy memories, sometimes sad, or a mixture of both. One morning this week, as I woke up, my husband was on my mind. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, but that morning he was especially on my mind. As I got into the shower, the tears began to flow mingling with the water from the shower, much as they had done in the weeks following his passing. Even though the love of family and friends is present, the one who is missing always brings a bit of sadness.

The music of Christmas is so wonderful to me. Last night my hand hit my remote in such a way that I came across a channel that I didn't even know was on my TV. Several months ago, I signed up for Ver*zon Fios, and on channel 894 is the Worsh*p channel. It was on our regular cable for a long time and then went off. I felt like I had found an old friend. What joy to listen to the music of Christmas and see the beautiful scenery that accompanies it.

A blessed Christmas to you all. I leave you with one of my favorite Christmas songs.

O Come, O Come Immanuel

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.


O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel.

14 comments:

kenju said...

I wish for you a Merry Christmas, Beverly, and peace instead of sorrow.

Anonymous said...

I always want to rewrite the refrain, of that song:

"Rejoice, rejoice, Emmanuel
Has come to thee, O Israel!"

I am one who does not get through grief quickly. Sometimes, it just seems like a fresh hit in the heart. I'd give you a big hug, if I could!

We're leaving tomorrow, so I'll wish you a wonderful Christmas, filled with enough joy to overcome sorrow. Christ was born to redeem us, to reconcile us to God; there is no better news than that!

Froggymama said...

When my grandpa died, someone gave my mom a card that said, "those who live in the lord, never see eachother for the last time." I've always thought it was a beautiful way of looking at life, and death.

JeanMac said...

Oh, Beverly, I send a hug. Hope you are comforted by the wonderful memories. These holidays are the time things hit a person. I'll be holding you close in spirit. Merry Christmas.

Susie said...

((Bev))
Sending you warm hugs. I hope your wonderful memories give you joy and peace during this blessed season.
Merry Christmas!
xo

Karen Townsend said...

You found your music at the right time, huh.

Merry Christmas to you Beverly. I hope you and Sarah have a fine one together.

photowannabe said...

Rejoice the King of Peace has come.
The title of our sermon yesterday was Mary Had a Little Lamb.
I thought that was so neat as Jesus is the Lamb of God.
I want to wish you a very special Merry Christmas and that the Lord will grant you a calming peace that passes all understanding.
Hugs, Sue

Babette said...

A blessed Christmas to you and yours, Beverly! I am going to check up on my mother now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beverly,

Just wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year .

Blessings.
Ron.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Emmanuel has come--but not to every heart. So we can continue to pray for His coming--right to the end.

Merry Christmas, Beverly!

srp said...

We are so fortunate to have the New Testament gospel, the story of the birth, death and resurrection of Christ. I look at Matthew and all the scriptures in Isaiah that Jesus fulfilled and cannot fathom that Israel did not recognize Him as their Messiah. But they did not know "the rest of the story" as we do. We are so blessed in this!

Have a peaceful and warm holiday and a bright New Year!

Anonymous said...

I so understand how you must miss your husband. When we loose someone, our lives are forever changed but the love that we shared lives within us always.

Maybe it was his hand that guided yours to find the channel that would provide a sense of peace and comfort. At least that is how I like to think when I too am missing someone I have lost.

I hope you had a peaceful joyous Christmas and I am wishing you every happiness for the New Year.

Beverly said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
One never knows when grief will come to the surface, but hopefully with time it will be only moments, not days. However, during times as Christmas it always appears. I do believe God sent the Christmas music for you to find comfort.
If I do not make it by...Happy New Year.

Mother of Invention said...

A beautiful carol we just sang in my choir's cantata concert!
I am sorry you are missing your husband so much now.

I hope you have a very good New Year!