Monday, December 17, 2007

Winter is here

The temperature dropped 35 degrees overnight here in Florida. Some areas in the central part of the state had freeze warnings. Later in the week temperatures should be back up to 75. I remember when I first lived in Cincinnati after I graduated from college. That was the furthest north I had been, and when I saw the little bit of snow that arrived during that first winter, and as I watched older people out shoveling, I realized why Florida had such an appeal.

I had a young man come visit me on Friday. It was rather cloudy, but he kept saying, "This weather is incredible." He had flown from Wisconsin the day before where there had been a foot of snow on the ground. I took him for a drive over the Sunshine Skyway and then out to the beach. He was amazed. It's interesting how our everyday life becomes so commonplace. I find that when I go to Virginia and enjoy the mountains that I'm experiencing the same awe that he did.

Anyway, today, there is not a cloud in the sky; the air is cool. One might need a sweater or a light sweatshirt. To those of us who live in Florida year-round, we look forward to this all year long.

Are you a fan of the Food Network? I am. Right now the Barefoot Cont*ssa is on working her magic. A favorite of many is Paula De*n. She's a hoot, isn't she. She has a recipe for fudge that I intend to try one of these days. My problem is that I watch these shows, but I rarely cook any more.

For those of you who do like shortcuts, I have a great fudge recipe for you. You can use your imagination with it, and it only takes a few minutes to make.

Directions for making fudge: Melt one bag of chips in microwave or on top of stove. Stir in one can of frosting. Add extras. Enjoy.

Rocky Road - 1 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips, 1 can chocolate fudge frosting, 1 1/2 cups of marshmallows, 3/4 cups chopped mixed nuts.

Toffee Butterscotch - 1 bag of butterscotch chips, 1 can caramel pecan frosting, 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, 1/2 cup almond brickle bits.

Peppermint Swirl - 1 1/2 cups white vanilla chips, 1 can vanilla frosting, 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract, 4 drops red food coloring, 2 tbsp. peppermint candies, crushed.

Favorite cookies and cream - 1 12 bag vanilla chips, 1 can Oreo frosting, 10 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, cut into quarters, 3 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed.

After you melt the chips and add the frosting, add the quartered cookies, spread in pan, and sprinkle with crushed cookies.

Let me know if you try any of these and how you found them.

12 comments:

kenju said...

I don't watch cooking shows much, although I used to see the Bam guy in the early days. I just might make that fudge - it looks easy and good!

JeanMac said...

Thanks for the recipes - I think I'll wait a couple more days due to temptation!

photowannabe said...

Love the food network and I am like you I like to watch but don't cook the way I used to. Its more desparation than fun.
Fudge recipes sound yummy and easy enough for me to do. I just may give them a try.

Susie said...

I enjoy the Food Network and Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorites. We do cook every night, so have the chance to try quite a few.
That fudge recipe looks really different, but I bet it would be quite good.
xo

Jamie Dawn said...

We're still enjoying fairly mild weather here in Arkansas. We did not get hit with those awful ice storms like others did. Our overnight temps are cold, but our daytime temps aren't too cold yet.
I'm not a fan of the cold. We only got one, light snowfall last winter, so I'm hoping for the same this winter.

Thanks for the easy fudge recipes. I'm ALL about easy when it comes to cooking & baking.
I love to cook and bake and eat.
I think Paula Deen is terrific. We've eaten at her restaurant in Savannah several times when we've vacationed there. That's some GOOD eating!!

Anonymous said...

I usually just eat the bag if chips and the can of frosting- I suppose I could mix them together and call it fudge. :-) Right now, fudge sounds good. So does sweater weather. Can't wait to get back!

Karen Townsend said...

I enjoy Ina Garten a lot, and I have tried some of her recipes. I learned how to roast veggies in the oven from her.

I enjoy Paula and read her magazine. My mother in law, a fellow Georgian, loves her so I just buy Paula stuff for her and she's happy at Christmas and birthdays. And, I subscribe both of us to Southern Living. Good recipes there, too.

I may have to try one of those fudge recipes!

annette said...

Nothing like the Florida sunshine on a WINTER day. Enjoy. We had a few days like that here, with a high in the 50s and much sun (Houston) but now it is dreary. My son who now lives in Florida has one pair of jeans and a light jacket, and that's it! We're shopping for more clothes. I love Food Network, but like you, live vicariously through it, as I don't cook much now either. The fudge sounds right up my ally!

Anonymous said...

Right now it is hard for me to visualize a land where there is no snow. :-).

AC said...

My mother made her annual batch of fudge and being married to a non-chocolate-ophile its all mine. Which is really rather dangerous for my girlish (ha) figure.

Merry Christmas, Beverly. I enjoy my visits here so much.

Anonymous said...

Beverly,
It is cold in our neck of the woods as well. Of Course, We are only one state over. I am glad all has been well for you. Hey, I was going to try the recipe. What size pan works best for this recipe? 9 1/2 by 13? or 8 by 8? Just wanted to check with you before I went to the store. Thanks so much for the different variations. It sounds awesome. :)

Beverly said...

Stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas...