Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What's Up?

Not much. When I read the goings on in others' lives, mine seems quite ordinary, but I think that is o.k. Along with many others I check out the blog about Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth several times during the day to see what is developing at Duke. My heart is moved each time I go there and read the updates and the comments of many all around the world who have read about this family and are praying for them.

Another blog that I faithfully check out is A Mountain Too High. This dear lady writes about her daily living with her husband who has Alzheimer's. It too is a very moving blog to read. She is able to write so poignantly about their life now. She has those who comment who have lived a similar experience and they are able to encourage her in her daily walk. I read and comment and yet I've never experienced that.

Our Sweet Adeline's chorus is getting ready to do our annual show February 2. We're practicing twice a week and I'm singing in a couple of small groups, so we are having extra rehearsals as well, so I'm singing my way through the week. I love it!

On Tuesday nights we rehearse until around 10 and then we go out for a bite. In our town it's hard to find places that are open late. We used to go to Appleb*es, but the evening that we went there was karaoke, and it was always so loud that we couldn't hear each other talk.

One evening after a movie a group of us went to a local sports bar called "Eat Drink and Be Che*ry." We enjoyed our food and so we asked them their hours, mentioning to them that we were looking for a place to get something to eat and drink after rehearsal. They said that they'd be glad to have us there, and so we began going there each Tuesday evening.

Last night there were about twelve of us who went. When we got there, we were about the only ones there. We started talking to the server who always waits on us. He knows us all by name, what we like to drink, and usually what we want to eat unless we throw him a curve.

In talking to him, he told us that he's getting his AA degree at the local community college and is hoping to go into some sort of sports business promotion. I asked him what he does besides serving there, and he said that he works at the local A. M. radio station and on Wednesdays they did a sports broadcast from the restaurant.

So today at 1 I tuned in and, sure enough, Jay mentioned the Sweet Adelines. He announced our show coming up and said that he planned to come. What a neat young man.

Before we left last night, the manager asked us to sing a couple of songs. We sang "Heartaches" and "Kokomo," and then he said, "Ladies, whenever I get married, I want you to sing at my wedding." How's that!

It doesn't take much to make a bunch of old ladies smile.

6 comments:

Karen Townsend said...

That's a great story, Beverly. And, free publicity, too.

Anonymous said...

What a neat chuckle you just gave me to start my morning! No, it doesn't take much. 'Course, it didn't take much, when I was young, either....

Thanks for the link, again, to Nate, Tricia and Gwyneth. I didn't have time to check back, yesterday. I'll do that now.

Mother of Invention said...

It's so neat to sing in a choir. I sing in two, one an all ladies, and the other a mixed for a church cantata.
We sing for old age homes etc.and they love us.

Anonymous said...

I too visit "A Mountain Too High" and "Nate, Tricia and Gwyneth's" blogs. Such inspirational people. I have to wonder if I would have their grace and their courage. It makes me realize just how fortunate I have been and I give thanks for the health of my children and my family.

CFHusband said...

Thank you!

Jamie Dawn said...

Good news over at Nate's blog. I'm so glad Tricia woke up!!