Monday, April 28, 2008

Don't Postpone Joy

I have from time to time posted articles by Steve Goodier of Life Support System. Today's' just came in an e-mail, and I thought it would be a good one to pass along. The title of the blog is from a bumper sticker. Those three words say a lot.

JOY ALONG THE WAY
A senator once took Will Rogers to the White House to meet President Coolidge. He warned the humorist that Coolidge never smiled.

Rogers replied, "I'll make him smile."

Inside the Oval Office, the senator introduced the two men."Will Rogers," he said, "I'd like you to meet President Coolidge."

Deadpan, Rogers quipped, "I'm sorry, but I didn't catch the name."

Coolidge smiled. A sense of humor is a marvelous gift to have. It is one of the most important means we possess to face the difficulties of life. And sometimes life can be difficult. I deal professionally with issues which are critical: relationships breaking apart, people losing jobs, people facing serious illness or agonizing with someone close who is suffering, addictions, grief and heartache. Without a sense of humor about my own life, I don't know if I could survive! I take what I do seriously, but I try not to take myself too seriously. Like the New York City cab driver who said,"It's not the work that I enjoy so much, but the people I run into!"

Here is an experiment: look for and find as much joy as possible for one full day. Try to enjoy the people you run into, the work you do,your leisure time and your relationships. Don't forget to enjoy yourself - and take enough time to enjoy God. I believe that if you try this experiment for one full day, by evening you will bask in the glow of a rekindled spirit. It just takes a day to find joy along the way.-- Steve Goodier

9 comments:

kenju said...

Will Rogers was one in a million. I think that is a very good exercise to try, and I will, just as soon as I finish the antibiotics that the dr. prescribed for me today. Something tells me now is not the time to do it....LOL

Wendy said...

Ahhhh, Beverly, such good advice!
I bought a deck of Well-Being cards. Every morning Hubby and I choose one. Each card has something about Joy in it (as in: we are all joyful beings, choose joy, your connection to Source is measured by joy).
It really is a good exercise.

JeanMac said...

Just the kick in the behind I needed!

Mother of Invention said...

Thanks for this great reminder! I try every day to do this. I know I have ill health and will probably die way before my husband, but I so know that this life has treated me well and I feel that God is with me in all I do. This gets one through a lot when you know He as well as others, are with you, and you are not alone. It also makes you less fearful of passing on to the next potentially/probably greatest part of the life cycle!

I have just read a book, "Overcoming Life's Disappointments", a short read by Rabbi Harold Kushner who wrote, "When Bad Things Happen To Bad People" and it really stresses the real reasons we pray to God and what we can realistically expect from Him, as well as the purpose of Church and a social network for support. I suspect you know a lot of this from your own experience and I'm glad you have found your comfort zone of living life without your husband. You are an inspiration to many I think.

Jamie Dawn said...

Terrific post and a terrific message!
It's so true that each day we should try and enjoy what we can within that day. There are many things that can dampen our joy, and we sometimes let those things rob us of enjoying the good parts of life.
Thanks for sharing this.

Susie said...

Thanks for sharing this. I agree that we need to find the joy in each day, for each day truly is a gift!
xo

Karen Townsend said...

Good words for remembering, Beverly. I agree, a smile goes a long way.

Putz said...

yea, thanks a lot, you are a spiritual light

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy a good laugh and find I am drawn to those that help me on this path.