Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Peg

Meet my best friend, Peg. Today's her birthday. When I woke up this morning, I realized that I had not sent a card (nothing new.) Peg and I became very good friends when my husband and I began going to her church. Her husband was the pastor, and Peg and I hit it off and became fast friends.

Who knew that eleven years later that it would be Peg who would come to my front door to tell me that Don had been taken in a tragic accident. You see, a deputy from our church was at the scene right after it happened. He called the church to tell them what had happened, and they discussed among them who would come and tell me. Peg chose to be the one. I have no more words.

Two and a half years ago, she and her husband left the ministry here to take a new position with the Baptist General Conference, headquartered in Arlington Heights. Peg has become involved in women's ministry and recently traveled to Japan to do some conferences with missionaries and pastor's wives.

When she was at the airport (I think that's what she told me) she came upon these Sumo wrestlers. She said that in Japan they're idolized like football players are here in the States. Everyone had their cell phones out taking pictures. She asked her interpreter to please ask them if she could have her photo taken with them. As she said, "The photo speaks for itself."

Happy birthday, Peg. I won't tell anyone how old you are.

She always reminds me that she'll never catch up to me. And, yes, it's true.

12 comments:

kenju said...

Happy Birthday, Peg!!

photowannabe said...

She has the most beautiful smile. Happy Birthday to your friend Peg.

Shammickite said...

What a nice tribute to a good friend. I hope Peg had a happy birthday, and will enjoy many more.

AC said...

Isn't this the same lovely friend you went to a ball game with last year? What a great photo and how wonderful for you both that you have each other.

jel said...

hopeya had a great bday! Peg :)



hi Bev!
hope all is well !

Susie said...

Peg sounds like a wonderful friend who was with you during one of the most difficult moments of your life.
I hope her birthday was very special!
xo

Anonymous said...

Bless Peg for being there for you. A mark of a true friend.. that is for sure.
Love the photo. :-)

Jamie Dawn said...

I hope Peg's b-day was a goodie!!
She has a bright, cheery smile. She looks like a very kind and fun lady.
Those Sumo guys could snap her like a twig.

srp said...

Good friends are treasures from God. Happy birthday to your friend Peg!

JunieRose2005 said...

Beverly,

Hope your friend Peg had a wonderful B'day! She looks like such a nice and friendly lady!

I'm sure her friendship is a very special one for you.


Junie

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday Peg! She sounds like a true friend, someone who will stand by you when times are tough.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. I really appreciate your input.

Anonymous said...

what a joy and treasure to have such a dear friend as your Peg .... and a friendship ever enduring!

both of you are blessed - and her birthday was two days after mine!!

and I'll never tell anyone my age either .... hee, hee!!

thank you for stopping by my blog. it's great to meet new 'faces' !!

lady blue