Sunday, May 04, 2008

Back from Competition

First of all, thank you for your kind comments and encouragement in the last post. It's wonderful to have such good, caring friends in the blogosphere.

I mentioned a week or so ago that our Sweet Adelines chorus was headed for regional competition this weekend. We boarded a bus Friday morning and headed to Daytona Beach. After checking into the hotel, we headed over to the auditorium where the quartet competition was being held. Several of the quartets who sang have competed many times before, and there were quite a few who were on stage for the first time. Some are very polished, some a bit tentative. I said to the person sitting next to me that anyone who got up on stage and sang like that deserves a medal. I love to sing, but I don't know how I'd do in a quartet on stage.

After the quartet competition, our chorus met in a rehearsal room at the hotel and had thirty minutes to work on our songs for the next day. By that time, it was after 10, and some of us were quite hungry, so we went to the restaurant in the hotel and had a bite to eat. Fortunately, the restaurant was open until 11. They put about 12 of us in the VIP room, where we had a rollicking good time.

The next morning we had rehearsal again at 8:00. After breakfast, we had time to get in our costumes and makeup for our chorus competition. On the competition stage, each chorus sings two songs, one ballad and one up tune. The time cannot exceed six minutes for any chorus. Our songs this year were about rain, so we had very simple costumes...pink raincoats worn over lime green T-shirts and white slacks. Our footwear was white sneakers...very comfortable. Some years one wears fancy costumes with sequins and glitter. A chorus can be as creative as they wish to be. This year props were allowed on stage as long as it was all removed before the next chorus came on stage.

Our front row and members on the end of the top row used umbrellas with the choreography. They made a good impression with the judges. Our of sixteen choruses who competed this year, we placed eighth. That score sounds so-so, but we were happy with our score. We improved over last year, and like anything, there is always room for improvement. Each year the competing choruses get better and better and are very entertaining.

I'll be getting a DVD of our performance, so hopefully I'll get one of the songs posted so you can take a look.

15 comments:

photowannabe said...

How fun..the singing and comradery make where ever you place just perfect. I've always enjoyed listening to the various Sweet Adeline groups. Looking forward to hearing a tune or two.

Anonymous said...

You had fun doing it, and you obviously didn't embarrass yourselves! :o) Sounds like a great time away with the chorus!

JeanMac said...

Really look forward to that, Beverly! What a great time you ladies enjoy.

kenju said...

Oh, I do hope you can post that, Beverly! Welcome back.

jel said...

way to go , glad ya had a good time to, and had a safe trip there and back


huggs

Mother of Invention said...

That is so cool what you do! How exciting! My choir has a huge workshop on Sat. with all the other community choirs. We work on special music from 9-3 and then come together for a mass choir. Should be neat. One song is Where have All The Flowers Gone and there are about 4 others.
I love singing.
Hope you get a sample of your songs posted.

cindy baldwin said...

Hi! You are MORE than welcome to link to my post. In fact, I am flattered! I am always happy to help spread the word about CF.

Susie said...

Hi Bev,
Welcome back! I'll look forward to you posting that video!
xo

Shammickite said...

That sounds like so much fun. Do you sing alto or soprano? I sing alto in a chorus with our local annual variety show. But I'm not very good.... could never do a solo, or even a quartet. And I don't read music very well, which is a bit of a handicap. But it's fun. So glad you enjoy it.

JunieRose2005 said...

WOW!


Sounds like a lot of fun!

I'll be looking to see that vid, too.


Junie

Island Rider said...

Just stopping by to say hello. I never did get around to saying where I go to church, Palmetto 1st Baptist. Did you go to my Historical Park last week? I hope they treated you well.

KGMom said...

Sounds like it was a great time.
Oh please do post a video clip--so we can see, hear & enjoy.

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love singing too. Yes, please post a video clip - I'd love to see it.

Karen Townsend said...

Happy Mother's Day, Beverly!

Anonymous said...

I would so love to be able to attend such a competition, as a member of the audience,that is.. I am not much of a singer. But I do so enjoy a good performance and this sounds like there were many. I love your outfits.. so colourful. It does sound like a lot of fun.