Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

In my opinion, last week was not a good one in Florida. On Mother's Day a young mother and her two children, 2 and 7, were murdered and mutilated...even the family dog. a "boyfriend" is being held.

On Monday, a pastor's plane was missing in North Carolina. Rev. Pollock, of Bell Shoals Baptist Church in Brandon, was flying with his son to a meeting in Texas. They flew to North Carolina to visit his mother. After takeoff from Asheville, the plane disappeared from sight. The plane was later found, with both the pastor and his son having lost their lives.

This gentleman had just led his congregation in the building of a new facility, preached the first message in the church three or four weeks ago, and now yesterday, his memorial service was held there. I encourage you to read about him here.

And then there are the fires in Florida. A number of people lost their homes to fires that were deliberately set. As I was watching the news, one gentleman was being interviewed. As he looked at the rubble that remained, he said that the only thing important to him was to find something of his wife's. When the reporter asked him if he found anything, he said he had...some of his wife's mother's jewelry. His thoughts were only for her. He became my hero of the day.

Early in the week, I opened the paper and looked at the obituaries. One was for a 25-year-old man. One always wonders if the death has been from an accident when one is so young. As I read through the obituary, at the bottom, it read, "Contributions may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, All Children's Hospital, or Shands Hospital." My heart sank. CF sucks...the breath out of the lungs.

OK, where is the good? Nate and Tricia got to take their baby girl home from the hospital. What a miracle this has all been.

And, last, and certainly least, The Tampa Bay Rays are playing decent baseball for the first time in their career. They have been the laughing stock of MLB, but now they seem to have found the sorely needed pitching. They've been playing awesome defense and have some good hitting. Go Rays!

13 comments:

Karen Townsend said...

Hang in there, Beverly! Tomorrow's another day. My favorite Psalm, that I repeat to myself every morning "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." It at least starts me off in a positive frame of mind!

Susie said...

So much sadness in the news lately. All the stories you mentioned are just heartbreaking.
There was one here this week that just broke my heart. A young man was driving home to Northern CA to be with his Mom after he had found out his younger sister had been brutally murdered. He crashed his car into a tree and was also killed. The mom, who was a single parent lost her only two children.
There is so much sadness, but thankfully also so many blessings.
Have a good week..
xo

Wendy said...

Yes, so much sadness. It really sucks! But also good times too. Hope things are going well with you.
On a lighter note - I tagged you in a meme. You can check it out by going to my blog. Don't feel you have to participate if you are not into memes.
Hope this week brings more good news and no bad at all.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm glad you found some good news amongst all those tragedies. How awful the terrible things people do to each other - that poor mom and her babies, an arsonist causing so much loss.
That dear pastor and son... how sad.
I'm sure that every CF death you hear about or read about comes with a sting to your heart. I am thankful that Ella is young and that there are reasons to be hopeful for the future when it comes to treating this illness. Nate & Tricia's story gives reason to rejoice.

kenju said...

Beverly, I hope that this next week will being some better news to you and all of Florida!

photowannabe said...

There is so much sadness in the world. Where would we be without the Hope that the Lord gives us?

Anonymous said...

Beverly, This reminds me of the children's book "Alexander and the horrible, no good, very bad day." We all have bad days and sometimes bad weeks. I am glad we can hope in the Lord. I am happy for your baseball team too. :) Hope this week brings you new promises and hope.

Anonymous said...

Your post brings this verse to mind: "In the world, you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer: I have overcome the world!" Jn. 16:33

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

Putz said...

i didn't know ashbourgh had an airport, my daughter lives there

Beverly said...

I hope the news starts getting better. It seems like when one sadness happens, another one does
too. I too was very happy about Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth. It is always a happy day when a premie goes home and to a wonderful mommy and daddy.
Don't know about your sports team, but know you like sports, so I will look for them.
Yes, CF is the pits!!!

Mother of Invention said...

Nate and Trish's story is truly inspiring! I think diabetes is the pits too but at least I got to grow up, marry and have a career. Conditions that take young lives are so unfair.

JeanMac said...

Have been following the news in Florida - can only get better.Thinking of you.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
It is hard to see the suffering and pain and loss of loved ones or even property. I always go back to: From the end of the earth I will cry unto thee; when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Blessings to you....