When I was in Virginia in October, we visited a farmer's market, which was actually a nice, small mall that had some really neat shops. One of them was Ten Thousand Villages. This organization has shops which sell crafts from countries around the world. It is a fair trade business, meaning that the artisans receive a fair price for their wares. I immediately went searching for any items that I could find from Haiti. In my search I found this Christmas tree ornament. The "tap-tap" (pronounced "top-top") is made of painted metal. This is a popular form of art coming out of Haiti now.
When anyone is Port-au-Prince, this is the way that many people travel about the city. I don't remember how much it costs to ride, but when you get on board, you are in a crush of people, their wares, their chickens and whatever else might be transportable. I never did brave riding on one, although I did use some of the other public transportation in the city and country. That's another post altogether.
In 2003 I traveled to Estonia with a group from my church and loved getting to know some wonderful people who only 12 years prior had lived under Communism. We spent ten days visiting, sharing, shopping and getting to know these wonderful people.
Recently a documentary, The Singing Revolution, has been in select theaters around the country. It tells how Estonia sang its way to freedom. They never gave up hope. Go to the website and watch the trailer. It gives a glimpse of the long struggle for freedom.
And, finally, the froth. We had one cat who lived in our house for eighteen years. During that time she became a member of the family, and we loved her so much. I became a little foolish for anything about a cat. So in my foolishness, I ordered a set of cat figurines. They pretty much tell the life of a cat, being caught in precarious spots...or...
living in the lap of luxury, being catered to, and given anything his heart desires.
Have a good rest of the week.

7 comments:
I love all the pictures of your special Christmas decorations. There used to be a Ten Thousand villages shop in my town, it was part of a Thrift Shop run by the memnnonite community. The Thrift Shop remains, but I don't know where the handicrafts shop has gone.
Believe it or not, we have a 10,000 villages here in Quebec, only it's called Dix milles villages. I just love going into that store and looking at all the fun stuff.
Loved your ornaments, especially the cat ones!
Getting ready for little Ella's visit with your tree up and everything.
If getting around in Haiti is anything like being out in traffic in the Dominican Republic, you must have taken your very life in your hands, many times! I've held my breath so often, while on a charter bus in the midst of cars, trucks--many of them piled insanely high with stuff--horse-drawn wagons, motorbikes.... I fell so bad for the horses and other animals, there; they are not treated well.
Love your cat figurines!
Oops...I *feel* bad for the animals, too. :o(
I hate to admit that we have that store here, and I've never been in it. Now, I will go!!
Love your cat ornaments.
HI Beverly! I know this is off topic, but THANKS for the link to the Greg Maddox tribute. He is still my favorite of all time and the post at Icewinds was great fun to read. The video was adorable.
Will I ever post again? I actually forgot the password to the blog and had to have it resent. I've been reading all along, but I do think, after the first of the year, I will rededicate myself to the blog work. However, something interesting needs to occur or it will be just as sad when I DO post as when I don't!
Merry Christmas, Beverly!
Carole
I love these Beverly. So different and unique...they're great! I'd be in that store forever I'm afraid.
Post a Comment