Sunday, January 11, 2009

A trip back in time

A few weeks ago when I was grocery shopping at P*blix, I stopped by the deli, one of my favorite places. The lady who waited on me spoke with an accent, and I asked her where she was from. "H*iti," was her reply. So I spoke a few words of Creole to her, and we conversed a few minutes before I told her what I needed. In our conversation, I told her that I had taught missionary kids in Ha*ti back in the early 70's, and then she told me that she was a pastor's wife and invited me to attend a service at her church.

She told me that they were having a dinner on Thanksgiving Day, but I told her that I would be with family, but I would try to come at another time. The holidays came and went, and I ended up going today. I took my English Bible since I wasn't sure where my French one was. I have a hymnal that we used in Ha*ti, but I didn't take it along with me. I arrived at 11, the time that the service was to begin. By the time everyone came, it was around 11:30 before the service actually started.
The church was filled with young adults and lots of children. There were about ten musicians on instruments and a praise team made up of a couple of the women of the church. A lady sitting across the aisle from me loaned me her songbook and showed me where the songs we that we were singing. What fun it was to sing in Creole again. The theme of the songs was that during hard times, God is faithful and is always there. It really spoke to my heart.

The pastor introduced the guests and asked each one to say something to the congregation. He told me before the service started that he wanted me to speak Creole, so I did. I shared with them how I had lived in Haiti a long time ago and how, once you have been there, it always stays in your heart. And I shared with them about the hard times that I have gone through and how I never have doubted the faithfulness of God. I hope they understood my bumbling. I think they did, and if they didn't, they would be far too polite to say so...to my face anyway.
When I got there, the pastor's wife greeted me. As we were sitting there, I asked her what denomination the church was...Baptist, Pentecostal, or ??? She told me that it was a Church of God. Now in my church people raise their hands if they want, and we clap our hands quite a bit, but these folks really got into it. They ended up literally dancing in the aisles...even the pastor.

The service started at 11:30, and I slipped out at 3:30. The pastor was still going strong. No one was asleep! Many were dutifully taking notes of everything he had to say. Children were sitting still; there was no children's church to entertain them. I was impressed. A young woman translated everything from Creole into English for those young people who are not as fluent in their country's language as their parents.

The photos here are some that I took when I was in Hai*i. The little girls in the red dress were daughters of one of the pastors of one of the large churches in our association. The little girls down below were the daughters of the pastor of the little church that I went to while I was there. I've been working on scanning my slides, but the device I bought didn't work quite right, so I returned it. Hopefully I'll get more done in good time.
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

podso said...

What a wonderful experience you had, Bev! A great post.

Anonymous said...

How neat that you've found someone with whom you can speak Creole! And I'm guessing that a whole lot of memories have surfaced, too.

I understand about your heart; I know I left more of my heart in the Dominican Republic, on my last trip, than I had in my first two visits. One more visit, and I might decide I wanted to live there, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't convince Bruce. :o)

Putz said...

hati cherie says hati is my beloved land, oh i had to leave her to understand, i love your churches of god. i have one behind me in ephraim, but being a stauch mormon, blue and blue through and through, i will attend however at times, and we have so much fellowship

Ginny Hartzler said...

Everyone who goes to Haiti seems to come back with it in their heart. How is this so, I wonder? Perhaps the workings of God, which are wondrous indeed. Mark Hodge is leaving for Haiti Friday morning with a team which includes a friend of mine from church. He & Wendy's goal is to live in Haiti permantly, but the more they try, the more they seem to get anchored here.

Shammickite said...

What a wonderful church experience, especially as you had the opportunity to speak and sing in Creole again.
I wonder how long the service went on for?

Wendy said...

No one was asleep. Was that 11:30 in the morning or evening? It sounds wonderful! More like a party. Those island people really know how to put music and dancing into their church services. Makes one feel good, raises good energy and you must go home just glowing. We should take lessons from them.
Hugs,

photowannabe said...

Even though Hubby and I were in Haiti for only 2 weeks, you are right about it getting into your blood and staying there. It was a wonderful experience for us, though neither of us spoke Creole. We had translators. Now I'm going to have to look at all my pictures again. Those faces...

kenju said...

I love the photos of such beautiful children. But a 4 hour service? Too much for me!

Froggymama said...

Wow, how awesome that you're able to sing in Creole!

In college I took a few classes in literature and culture of the Caribbean and absolutely fell in love with Haiti. Of all the islands, their history is the most remarkable - the first to be FREE, and yet they've probably struggled the most.

Someday I'd love to go there. And I love hearing about your travels and experiences with such an incredible country and people.

Joy Des Jardins said...

What a wonderful experience Bevery. And to be able to sing in Creole...how great is that? I hear all the time how beautiful the water and the beaches are in Haiti..and your photo proves it. Those children are adorable. Thanks for sharing this wonderful time with us.

KGMom said...

Haiti continues to be a place of such incredible need. Just this past year, I read a NY Times article about how people are starving--and mothers actually make "cakes" mixing mud in with oil to make something for their children to put in their stomachs. Isn't that heartbreaking?

Bellezza said...

I'll bet you were a huge blessing to them, Beverly. I liked how you said that in your church you raise hands and clap (same in our church, which is Assemblies of God; it took awhile for me to get used to that coming from a Covenant background!) but that they were dancing in the aisles. (Like King David, I'd imagine.) Best of all was that at 3:30 they were still going strong. Now, THAT is the Spirit moving! I would have loved to have been there.

Jamie Dawn said...

What a wonderful experience! I'm sure it brought back some terrific memories and warmed your heart.
I'm sure they loved having you there, especially since you spoke their language! What a treat and probably a surprise for them.
Those little girls in the pictures are so cute.
God bless you for the work you did in Haiti, and God continue to send others to bless the people there.
I hope you visit that church again.
FOUR hours and still going strong??!!
That's really something!

Anonymous said...

Your visit to this church sounds like a most wonderful experience. I have often thought how wonderful it must be to belong to a church where they truly rejoice in their faith.

Z said...

This is a terrific post, Beverly..thanks. What an interesting experience! FOUR HOURS? If it were my pastor there, everybody'd been asleep ! (Sorry, but he's not been exactly inspiring lately!!)

I didn't know you'd lived in Haiti...tres bien, mon amie...

Creole mostly French, or??
Do they cook Creole there? I always think of Creole as American.

Bellezza said...

Beverly, I left you a small token of appreciation on my blog. ;)

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Thanks, Beverly, for a glimpse into your past as well as a portrait of the present. Creole? You speak Creole??!! Wow! I'm impressed.

JeanMac said...

I'm impressed - must have been so much fun and brought lots of memories back.