Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Just a few years ago

I finally bought a scanner for transparencies. I'm having fun scanning slides from my days in Haiti and Europe. I lived down in the south of Haiti where travel was very difficult. There were not many paved roads...mainly dirt or rock. To have a car was prohibitive by cost for me, and frankly to own one was just not practical. Motorbikes were just the thing. When I arrived in Haiti in 1969, our mission was able to buy three H*nda 90 bikes for a thousand dollars. Many of the missionaries had them and also the pastors of the churches got them whenever they could buy one. They were definitely time savers and allowed one to go places where there was just a path.

This particular photo was taken on the main highway from Cavaillon to Les Cayes, the town where I lived. I especially enjoyed the freedom that the bike afforded. Notice I'm wearing a dress. Pants were taboo during those days for missionary women.

One day one of my housemates and I got on my bike and rode out to the airport (cow pasture) to greet some folks who were coming out from Port-au-Pr*nce for a visit. The road to the airport was a dirt road which was heavily rutted by the trucks who traveled through after heavy rains. We were riding along when we passed a lady who was going to market with her donkey loaded with baskets of goods for market. Since I was in the rut, it was hard to move over, and my side mirror caught on the handle of one of the baskets.

Down we went, and up we got, none the worse for the wear. The lady walking with her donkey was fine too. I was sharing this story about our sideswiping the donkey once with some missionaries who had lived over in southeast Asia. The gentleman said to me, "Oh, that's nothing. We had a lady who hit a water buffalo broadsided." I guess we weren't too bad off. But what must have the poor lady have thought whose basket we got hung up on.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Wendy said...

Akkkk! Imagine hitting a water buffalo!!!
I love the pic of you in a dress on the bike. Hmmmm. Those sure were the days, weren't they?

kenju said...

Beverly, I cannot imagine wearing a dress to ride a motorcycle. That must be dangerous!

Reva said...

What memories. I'm sure you have alot of neat things you have done in your past that bring a smile to your face. Thanks for sharing.

JeanMac said...

I'm impressed you were wearing a helmet -

Shammickite said...

I wonder what the donkey thought of it!

srp said...

I remember when we had to wear dresses in public school and it wasn't until my junior year in college that we could wear "pant suits" (not jeans) on campus after 4pm... but not to class. So, times change... not necessarily for the best.

What kind of scanner did you get for the slides? It does a lovely job.

Froggymama said...

Wow, you are one tough Grandma! I love it.

It reminds me of my honeymoon. FD and I were riding our bikes through the mountains in Spain and going incredibly fast downhill - when we nearly ran into a bull. FD wanted to ride past. I grew up in Iowa and have actually been chased by a bull, so I pulled my bike up into the bushes and let him by.

Z said...

what did I miss? You were a missionary in HAITI? Write to me, please!!

WOW!! Yes, driving a motor scooter with a skirt must have felt a little scary!?

Jamie Dawn said...

You look very ladylike on that motorcycle. How neat to be able to show us this photo from your very interesting past. I wear skirts and dresses most of the time. It's just what I prefer to wear. I don't know if I'd like to wear a dress while riding on a motorcycle though.
I'm picturing you running into that woman's basket and plopping smack down on the ground. I am sorry, but I'm kind of smiling at the image. I'm not being mean; I just think it probably looked funny. I am not the picture of grace, so if that happened to me, I'd look hilarious.
I'm glad to see you wore a helmet. And obviously cool sunglasses were not banned for missionary women. You look totally cool, Bev!

Joy Des Jardins said...

You look pretty cute on that motorcycle Bev...helmet and all. Can't believe you had to wear a dress though....YIKES!

Reva said...

Hope you are doing ok. I noticed that you haven't blogged in a few weeks. Looking forward to another of your adventures.

Anonymous said...

great story Bev! and I love the photo. thanks for sharing :)

carmilevy said...

I think there's a book in all of your experiences. This one's so rich with imagery...I could practically see you riding through the rutted terrain. Well, I sorta did with the picture, but you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

Love this photo from the past. Such wonderful memories you must have. I admire the fact that you drove a moterbike. That is one thing I have yet to try ( and am not really sure that I will) :-)