Monday, May 11, 2009

Ask me what I did on Mother's Day

I read so many beautiful posts about Mother's Day yesterday. They were all so great. Sarah took me out for breakfast yesterday morning and then she asked me what I'd like to do. My response was, "Why don't we work on cleaning out the garage?"

Some time ago I had asked her to help me start getting rid of "stuff." My garage has lots of stuff. There is room for the car, but there is a lot of stuff. Sarah is super-organized. I'm not. Having taught kids who had labels like LD, EMH, EH, ADHD, I decided that I deserve the label OD - organizationally disabled. It's true... sad, but true.

We had worked on the garage some already, but yesterday as we worked there, actually Sarah did most of the work, we uncovered some treasures. In a small box were some school papers and art work that had been done over the years. I unfolded one paper, and it was quite a nice finger painting that Sarah had done. I opened another booklet, and it was a cookbook that David's kindergarten teacher had compiled and put together for the mom's.

I smiled as we went through the "stuff" and I discovered those treasures.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had these photos waiting to be posted for a while. When I was on my way to Virginia back in April, I stopped in North Carolina for a couple of visits. Spring was just bursting forth.


A lovely home in a little North Carolina town.



The old tobacco barn at my friend's house

And a great friend, Kenju, whom I've met through blogging. This is the third time I've visited with her. The first time she drove over to the interstate for lunch. Last time I went to her house, and she served lunch. This time I took her out for lunch.


One of the lovely yards across the street from Kenju's house.



Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Beverly said...

sounds like a nice mothers day present. that is what i would love, time with me to do what i need done. I am also OD. it is nice to see a ppicture of kenju, she does not look like what i thought....

kenju said...

Beverly (and Beverly, up there, too)
that's not too bad a photo of me, but I need my teeth whitened and my skin tightened!!

Thanks for posting it and for the link.

I love going through all the old artwork and schoolwork of my children. I give it to them and let them decide whether to throw it out or not - since I can't bring myself to do it.

I look forward to your next visit, and this time will be my treat.

kenju said...

P.S. I love old Victorian homes like the one in the top photo. I've always wanted to live in one like that.

podso said...

Lovely post, Bev and belated happy mother's day! You have a gem in Sarah! (and David).

Wendy said...

Me too - I've always wanted to live in an old victorian home like that one. There's something so charming in those homes!

Aren't those treasures irresistable? How can one throw them away? I would have kept them for years too.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

srp said...

What a lovely gift for Mother's Day!!! I received a voice mail from Nyssa while at church. She was heading out from Sherman, Texas up through Oklahoma to Kansas... they are setting up for a weather outbreak sometime on Wednesday and perhaps Friday. That was good enough!

Our BSF had its last lesson tonight... next week the sharing and then the drought for the summer. It begins again in September with the study of John, one of my favorite books.

Love the pictures... isn't Judy just wonderful???!!!!!

photowannabe said...

I have to say that that is one of the most original Mothers Days that I have read about. Helping you was probably the greatest gift you could receive. We are pretty organized in our garage but it is so full of stuff too. Much is for selling on Ebay and now we are plowing through it to price things for the big Garage sale we are having on Saturday. Lots of hard work but very worth the effort. I explain more about it on Facebook.
How delightful to get to gether with a fellow blogger. I'm jealous...(:0)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful Mothers Day gift... time with your daughter and cleaning out stuff and finding a treasure! :)

Love the photo of the tulips.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Oh, Beverly, I know EXACTLY what OD is! You should see my desk in my classroom--a true disaster!

Jamie Dawn said...

How wonderful that you've gotten to meet up with Kenju three times! I'm sure you've both enjoyed visiting with each other face to face.
Terrific photos from your trip. That house is so pretty.

It's great that you and Sarah worked together organizing the garage and found some hidden treasures along the way.
You are a blessed mother and grandmother, and I know you know it!

:-)

Shammickite said...

Ms Kenju looks like a lovely blogger to meet up with, you are so lucky to be able to do that! And three times!
I've been cleaning out my garage too, and then workshop behind it, but I can't get too far without the help of my 2 sons.... too many odd bits of automotive parts and such like... papers and school drawings I can deal with, but not brake shoes and spark plugs. I'd be throwing all the wrong stuff away!

JeanMac said...

Aw, such a nice day. I'm glad you and Judy see each other once in awhile.

Z said...

OH, I'd love that old Victorian! Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures and how you've met a blogger!

I've met Elmer's Brother and Heidianne...it's a great thing, isn't it!?