Can you tell our school colors were red, white, and blue? As these balloons were being inflated, a few got away and landed on the ceiling. At the beginning we heard a loud pop as too much helium went into one of them. As they were tied, they were stored in the men's bathroom until ready to put them on the tables and tie them around the deck outside.
We were and are the Manatee High Hurricanes. On game day, hurricane warning flags fly. Our high school was the county high school until 1959 when the high school across the river had its first graduating class in many years. Now there are six.
It's always interesting to gather and reminisce. Some of the boys at dinner Saturday night were talking about cherry bombs and all the mischief they got into. The comment was made that you could walk into any store and buy the equipment needed for making all these things. They would have been a threat to the community these days. A lot of engineers came out of our class. Two of the very popular girls went into convents and lived as nuns for a few years. Our class president, whom we thought would surely be governor one day, did become an attorney, and continues to work in Dade County today.
The thing I like about these reunions is that we're all on a level playing field now. You can pretty much still tell who the cheerleaders were, who the rascals were, who the brainy ones were, but we've all gotten to be senior citizens with our extra pounds, some wrinkles where there were none, artificial joints here and there, but we still laugh together, cry together, and remember the "good times" we had in the fifties.

18 comments:
Beverly, I am so glad you had a good time. As you know, my 50th was last summer and we had a blast!
I tried to leave this comment around 5pm, but my computer staged a slowdown and I had to turn it off.
Let's see... my 50th is in another 11 years. It looks like you had a great time... lots of memories. Mom and Dad went back to their 50th college anniversaries and had a great time.
What a great milestone Bev...Happy 50th....love the balloons! What a great time...remembering with everyone and yes, everyone is on the same level all these years later...no clicks or groups. Wonderful...
I've gone to a few reunions so far and boy does time fly! Glad you had a fun time...the balloon pics are great! :)
so where is coral beach, i had a commentator who had just been to stirling scotland at my post and had no idea where coral beach is???not near a funny little place called latwataachoocee is it>???????she was also a retired educator in special ed and often went to a little island off the florida coast, and was also a geneologist...whewwwww
Looks like a wonderful celebration!
I've been on a reunion committee before, so can well relate to that last pic :)
xo
I can see you were the funny one....
I know you had fun....
I'm coming up on 48 years since graduation. Its rather mind-boggling when I say the number. Hubby has 50 year reunion this year. I like how you stated that now its a leval playing field.
Congrats. on 50 years and it looks like a terrific time was had by all.
Hi Beverly..I've seen your comments on a few blogs that I visit, so I thought I'd stop in and say hi. I'm a pretty visual person, so I love all the pictures you've posted.
My 35th is coming up...I applaud you on your 50th!
Wonderful fun.
Beverly--I attended my 45th a couple of years ago--so I resonate with your thoughts.
I was consumed with curiosity--what became of this or that classmate. And I too noted the cheerleaders, the class clowns, the brainy ones.
I confess to a little personal pride that I now looked as good as any of them--being a bit of an outsider in high school.
Love the balloons and all those trailing strings.
So glad you had a good time. I've never been to a school runion, although I know there have been such events. But I'm here on this side of the Atlantic and my schools were all on the other side.... so it's a long way to go to meet people that I might not even recognise!
That sounds like such a fun evening! Too pooped to pop, but not too pooped to poop!!
:-)
Cane Power!!!!
Woo Hoo!!!!!
Oh how much fun!!! To go back in time with your classmates. I don't think I even remember what our high school colours were!
Fifty years!! Yikes!! Where does time go??
Glad you had a great time. Aren't reunions fun?
BTW - I do love the West Coast better than the East of Florida, but at this time of year, the flights are cheaper and I actually got a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Only 3 1/2 hours from Montreal.
Will definitely come to the west coast some day - and hopefully we can go for lunch, watch dolphins swim or jump in the ocean!
Hugs
What a priviledge to celebrate 50 years from High School! It must've been great to see old friends, and I like how you said the playing field is levelled. My 30 year reunion is this August, and I know I like everyone a lot more now than I did in 1979!
Thanks for asking about Papa, Beverly. With God's good grace, he came through the second stent placement yesterday just beautifully. I'm so, so grateful.
Hi Beverly, I have you beat. I've been out of high school 54 years. Where does time go? We have had one reunion on the 25 year mark. I helped get it together and right before the event, our principal who spoke, called me and asked if I would like to have all of the annuals from the school. He had one for every year the school had been there. What a gift! I treasure them! Good memories. Thanks!
WHat a REAL privilege to get to go to that! Must have been SUCh fun!
living in a big city, everyone's pretty dispersed from my high school. I'm in contact with NONE of them,imagine!? And it's only 30 years for me. (Only? DID I SAY ONLY?)
Glad you had such fun...and were SO patriotic!! Imagine a school having those colors today?(I know, I'm ALWAYS on politics, sorry!) xxx
looks and sounds like a great time! LOVE the photo of the balloons. How great that you still have "connections" fifty years later :)
Post a Comment