We take roads for granted, don't we. One day when Sarah and I were traveling down I-75, coming home, we heard on the radio that there was an accident at one of the exits, so I suggested that we get off and go over to US 301. What a pleasant change it was to be off the busy interstate and driving under the oak trees that reached from each side of the road and met in the middle, giving us a lovely shaded drive. I reminded Sarah that this used to be one of the main highways from north to south.
Traveling roads in Haiti was always quite an experience. In 1970 a trip from Port-au-Prince to Les Cayes, which was a distance of 120 miles, could take up to twenty-four hours. Buses and trucks loaded with people, livestock, and goods were one means of getting back and forth.
Motorcycles were another way. There were many areas where roads were almost non-existent, or there was a narrow path, that could only accommodate a person walking or riding a bike of some sort.
And, of course, there was traveling by foot which is not uncommon. Can you imagine what the bottoms of those ladies' feet looked like?
Does a detour bother you? We sometimes feel inconvenienced by a delay, I know I do, but I just need to be reminded of my times in Haiti many years ago and my travels in that country.
To see more posts about roads, visit Carmi's place.


10 comments:
Nice pic! Sure puts things into perspective. I used to get frustrated at detours and delays, but in my wise old age (ahem!)I've decided to enjoy whatever life throws at me. If it's a detour, then it's meant to be and often (just like you said) you get to see a different area or view different landscape.
I miss the old road, people are in to big of a hurry these days,
I think thats one of the reasons I like the movie "CARS" some much :)
the ways things use too be!
have a great weekend!
When you talked about the trees reaching from each side of the road, it reminded me of the stretch from Newport News to Williamsburg.. At 3 AM when all is dark and just the lights from your car light up the trees on either side.. it looks as if the pines extend over the road and you are driving down a natural tunnel. Of course this only happens at 3AM and I am probably one of the only crazy persons in the world that likes to drive in the early morning when going on a long trip...
I cannot imaging going across those dirt roads after a rain on a motorcycle... especially trying to carry something as well! We are blessed.
I think once you travel dirt or gravel roads, you develop a healthy gratitude for our paved ones!!
I enjoyed your two roads posts. I like to take detours off the main highway and enjoy the lesser traveled roads. While my dad is here visiting, we have enjoyed doing just that. We have been driving around town and simply enjoying whatever we see along the way.
I love the photos of Ella. Yes, she is lovely, and I've enjoyed seeing her grow. I love that she called you, her Grammy, her best friend. That is so precious!!
:-)
I often enjoy a detour as you often get to see views and things that you wouldn't otherwise see. :)
i love your road posts.
These two posts on roads have been great. I much prefer old dirt roads myself. You see a lot more beauty on old dirt roads. I learned the majority of my driving on the old back dirt road of Wisconsin from my dad one summer that I'll never forget. Thanks Bev.
Detours may not be delays. They may be just what we need to slow down and take stock of our surroundings.
I love backroads...preferring them to the fast highways. Detours are another thing...seems we are always in a "hurry" to get where we need to go...and sometimes detours of another kind...the kind that alters our lives...seem like such an inconvenience, until we recognize that they too are part of God's plan for our journey.
Post a Comment