Thursday, January 28, 2010

Do You Ever Stop to Think?

When you turn on the tap, are you thankful for clean water? When you lie down to sleep at night in a comfortable bed, are you thankful? When you walk into your home after a busy day and are sheltered from the elements, are you thankful?

My friend, David, a former missionary kid from Haiti, is in Haiti now along with Samaritan's Purse. He is there chronicling the work of those who have gone to help relieve some of the suffering of the Haitian people. Above is one of his photos. To see more, go here. Click on the photos to see them enlarged.

15 comments:

podso said...

Good reminders. Bev, though I personally have never taken water for granted since we lived in Africa. Yet it is so easily obtained here and so abundant. Haiti does make us realize how blessed we are, and so unworthy.

Ginny Hartzler said...

A good post. So many have forgotten to be thankful just for everyday things, as we just never think about them. Just saw the grasshopper post, don't know how I had missed that one!! Oh, ick!!! Another thing for me to be very thankful for, no joke, is that we don't have to eat things like this! What an amazing, interesting, yet completly creepy post.

kenju said...

We need daily reminders of how lucky we are to live in the land of plenty. Most of us aren't properly grateful for the bounty we have been given.

Granny Annie said...

I am thankful for the help being offered by The United States of America. Stories abound from our citizens who send money to those who are present in Haiti to represent us and do what they can. It would not be reasonable for me to try to go there but I can certainly applaud those who have. Plus everyone knows that while other countries help, we will do the most.

Beverly said...

the little children's eyes are what really tells the story. I cannot imagine how their little lives will be impacted by this...it was not be best before, and now.....

Dorothy said...

It is something we often take or granted food and water and great homes to rest our weary bodies, I do hope all the aid we've sent will get to the needy.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Joy Des Jardins said...

Those questions are so simple...but they make you think how very blessed we all are Bev. We do take so much for granted; and never realize how suddenly it could all be taken from us. The devastation in Haiti is so heartbreaking, I can barely watch the news; but it's a fact...and it's there...and it's real...and I have watched and cried. God Bless them. Thanks for this post Bev. Love, Joy

Wendy said...

I never stop to think about these simple things, but lately (since Haiti) I have. If I find myself complaining about something trivial (spilling something on a clean, freshly washed floor, having to take the garbage out and it's cold outside), I just remember those poor folks in Haiti.

On another note - little Ella looks like she's baking up a batch of Valentine cookies! Yum!

Nishant said...

Haiti does make us realize how blessed we are, and so unworthy.

Work from home India

JeanMac said...

That dear face says it all. I will remember.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Hi Bev...I just came back to look at Ella's adorable face. Love that picture....Thanks. Love, Joy

Anonymous said...

I must admit.. especially here where it is so cold right now.. that I often do give thanks for shelter and warmth. And I often do ponder on how others, even here in our rich country, survive with so little.

Bless the kind hearts and hands that are giving help to all those in Haiti.

Z said...

Hi, Beverly...you're so right; there have been times in a VERY hot strong shower, enjoying it SO MUCH, I've thought "there are people who have NEVER felt this.." and I grieve.
Good reminder, and thanks for the ADORABLE picture of our girl in your masthead...Ella is SUCH A BEAUTY I can never tire of looking at herxx

I'm glad you liked the scholarship story and thanks for coming by. xxx
Happy Valentine's Day, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I am so humbled when I think of all the blessings I enjoy here in the States without earning one of them. I often think of how to help those less fortunate, which is part of why my husband and I tithe as much as we can.

The picture of your granddaughter in your heading is so darling! She is really growing up, and she's such a beautiful girl. I can tell what a sweet spirit she has.

I've missed you! Thanks for visiting me, and blessings on all of you your family.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

bev, is your blogger broken? it's been 3 weeks since your last post. miss you