Monday, February 22, 2010

Where to Begin?

I eagerly anticipated the arrival of Ella the Bella and her parents at the beginning of February. They arrived just two days before our annual Sweet Adelines show. A few days before their arrival, I began having all kinds of pain in my midsection, so I decided a trip to the doctor was in order.

After checking me over, she thought that I probably had shingles. A kidney stone was an option. Because the lab tech wasn't in that day, the urine sample couldn't be checked for an infection. So I went home with the assurance I could call any time during the weekend since she was on call. On Saturday, I had a rehearsal for Sweet Adelines in the morning, a Pampered Chef lunch at my house at noon, and then something else in the afternoon. I don't even remember what it was.

On Sunday I was still hurting, so I called her back. She suggested my going to an urgent care facility where they could do a scan and whatever was needed. There was no kidney stone, and a chest x-ray looked fine, so the dear doctor there said in his soft Cuban accent, "My dear, I believe you probably have shingles." I got a shot for the pain, antiviral drugs, a prescription for nausea and one for pain and went home. I broke out with a rash on Monday. I believe the antiviral drugs kept them from being so severe, but it has not been fun.

As you will notice, I'm not in any of these photos. The day after the Sweet Adelines show, we went to Disney World. The kids had a great time. I stayed in bed most of the day on Monday. I had told David and Sabrina that I wanted to take Ella and the family to a character breakfast, so on Tuesday we had breakfast at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Resort. The breakfast was yummy, and we really did enjoy seeing the characters up close and personal. I think I enjoyed it as much as Ella did.

The week went by much too quickly. The rash has subsided on my body; the pain is not as bad, but it is there. I'm finding that being quiet is better than lots of activity.

Just a couple of weeks before I came down with shingles, the nurse at our retired educators' meeting gave a brief report. Her point was to make sure that our immunizations were up-to-date, and then she mentioned the shot for shingles. I don't know where I've been because I thought that I usually stayed current on what I should be doing, but this one passed me by somehow. At the appropriate time, I will be getting it. I would not like to go through this again!

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
I got shingles right above my left eye in 2001. I had no idea what in the world it was and was in intense pain when it all started. On a scale of 1- 10 it was a 20. I even ASKED my husband to take me to the emergency room on a sunday morning because I was so sick. The rash hadn't even begun, but I will never forget my B/P was 220/140 that was some pain! It caused me to have to sit in a darken room for nearly 2 months before I could get out again. Then it took over a year before it was 'normal'. I still get the tiny nerve tingles over my eyebrow and this was nearly 10 years ago! I feel for you.

Wendy said...

Oh, Bev, I am so sorry for your pain. I've heard shingles is the pitts! Very painful. I've never heard of a shot for shingles.

Your pics of the family are so special. Little Ella is having a blast - and with Mickey, no less! Must have been a fun breakfast. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

Do take care. Will send you some healing thoughts and maybe a snowball or two. LOL!

Hope you feel better soon.

podso said...

You know our shingle story and I'm glad the worst is behind you. I wonder about you getting a vaccine--the doc told us G would not need one. Maybe it depends on the case? Not sure, but if there's a chance of getting it again, I sure would think it's a good option!

kenju said...

Beverly, you were lucky that you wnt to the doc before the rash appeared. Surely your early meds helped that attack to be less painful than it would have been. I had shingles about 10 years ago on my side and back. It was excruciating! Last year, I got the shot!

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had the shingles Bev. I had the chicken pox with my kids when they were little and I felt like I was going to die! Thankful you were able to go to Disney with your kids and at least enjoy some of it. Thanks for sharing your photos... they are great! Take care of yourself!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so sorry that you have been having to go through this! About the vaccination, I didn't know you could get shingles more than once! I got a prescription written and sent in to get the vaccination about three months ago, and have not gone to get it yet. I guess I need to. The Bella is watching her favorite movie now "The Aristocats". She is in extremly high spirits, but seems to have a cold. We are having pizza with David this evening, as Sabrina is working very late.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

ella the bella is adorable as always and your family is beautiful. so sorry to hear you had those shingles and thanks for the info. i did not know there is a vacination for shingles. I have heard from others they are very painful and NOT something I would want to have. glad to see you back in blog world

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh Bev, I'm so sorry you've been going through this ordeal with shingles. I know they are very painful, and I'm glad you are over the worst of it. It's the first I've heard of a shot for them...that's great. I also didn't know you could get them more than once. I admire you sweetie for even doing anything with your family when you were feeling so badly. You really are a trooper...and the best Grandma ever. Ella looks like she had a great time. Big hugs to you sweetie...and I hope you feel all better very soon. Love, Joy

Granny Annie said...

Ron and I both have many relatives who have had shingles. We really dread getting them but our doctor didn't advise the shingles shot. We may inquire about that again. Glad you are better.

We used to go see the Sweet Adeline's perform in Oklahoma City in the 60's. My sister always wanted to be in that group.

L. said...

So sorry to hear that you have shingles. Ouch!
I must tell you that your precious Ella is, just that, PRECIOUS!!
Feel better!
xoxo

Island Rider said...

I don't know why I missed this post. I hope you are feeling better by now. I am sorry you weren't well when your sweet Ella was in town. Our church's missions conference is coming up on March 20 and 21. Hope to see you there!

JeanMac said...

I'm so sorry for you - hope things clear up soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Beverly.. I am so sorry that you have been so sick. Shingles.. definitely not a fun time. I am hoping that the worst of it is now behind you and am sending plenty of warm thoughts and wishes your way.

And Ella... she just gets cuter and cuter every day. :-)

Reva said...

I'm so sorty about your shinglea. I got it earlier last year and am still dealing with it some on the bottom of my foot and other spots also. I didn't know it would do any good to get the vaccine after i've already gotten it. I'll have to check with my doctor I guess. Good luck with getting rid of yours though.

srp said...

Mom and Dad are getting theirs soon... I am so sorry you had to go through this... but glad the course was as short as it was. I have seen a few cases that went on for months. Ella and Mickey look like the best of friends!!!

Dorothy said...

My sister gets shingles and we've never really talked about them so this was so interesting thanks... I've learned a few things reading the comments as well.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com