Well, I am back in business...I think. The computer is fine. I haven't even begun to move files and photos yet. That will come. As some of you know, I came down with shingles at the beginning of February, and even though I saw a doctor right away and got medication to lessen the severity, I still am having a bit of pain around my midsection. When my doctor gave me a prescription for a month's supply of pain medicine and made it refillable 6 times, I figured I was in it for the duration.
While the pain is lessening, it is still annoying, and the medication really doesn't help a lot, even though it is for nerve pain. I haven't been a very good sleeper for the last little while, and it is even more so now. Last night as I lay in bed, trying to relax and go to sleep, nothing seemed to work. I had lots of things go through my mind, and as they passed through, I thought to myself, "Now that would make a good blog post." However, I did not get up and write them all down, but one did remain.
Those of you who have been around for a while know that I was widowed 8 years ago on April 30, and I have lived alone since that time until October when Sarah sold her house and moved back in with me. During these eight years, I've never been afraid of being along. I have a secure home with an alarm system and I have not had cause for concern.
Just the other day, SRP of Melange wrote a post that had a photo of a frog in it, and in my comment I described an occurrence at my house and later thought to myself that I should blog about that. As I said, I feel secure in my home and have not been afraid.
However...one night I turned out the light and settled down for a good night's rest, when, all of a sudden, I heard something fall to the floor in my bedroom. I was a tad alarmed, but I decided not to get up. In a moment or two, I heard another soft thud on the floor, and I decided it was time to get up and attend to the matter at hand.
I walked into the bathroom and turned on the light, and on the far wall of my bedroom I saw a blob on the wall. After I put on my glasses, I could see that it was a tree frog, fastened to the wall by those sticky pads on his feet. He had jumped up onto the windowsill, and in doing so, had knocked off some wooden figures that I had set there.
Now, I like frogs and am not afraid of them, but I didn't want him jumping down on me, plop, in the middle of the night. So, downstairs I came, got a box, got the frog in the box, and took him outside on the front porch and released him to the wild outdoors of Florida.
I'm not sure if I went to sleep right away. I do know that I would have thought nothing of it compared to the morning I went downstairs and saw a long black snake lying across the French doors that go out to the pool.
Such is life in Florida. You didn't really want to come, now did you.

10 comments:
Now the frog... OK... but the snake... I had the shivers just reading about that. Of course the drastic drop in temperature here and the upswing in wind might have something to do with that.
I bought ladybugs today... first time.
My roses in the front already have aphids and the soap didn't do the trick so I am hoping the week of cooler temps and the aphids will entice them to stay.
I would have tried for some lacewings too but they might eat the caterpillars I am hoping to see with all the butterfly plants we are putting out.
I have 16 roses in the new rose bed in back. Have room for a few more but am trying to be selective... mixture of hybrid teas and floribundas and colors of red, coral, orange, white, yellow.... just no pink. Pinks are in front. Oh... and fragrant.... the most fragrant. So far they do NOT have aphids but it is only a matter of time around here.
What kind of computer did you get?
No, I don't think I could ever live in Florida, however beautiful it is. At our seniors spring fling party tonight, we went round the table telling stories about spring. It atarted out with pretty flowers and such, but quickly turned into scary and funny snake stories. I'm sure glad that it was nothing worse than a tree frog, though. Glad to see you're up and running.
Sorry I don't like either visual. But what a good story! I am so sorry the shingles still bother you. What a long siege you have had with them.
ya don't have to just live in Fl, to have snake stories, we got them in Mo too :(
take care
so we were sisters in the trials of computeritis. mine is finally back up and almost fine. love the frog story. one just like him jumped from the sliding glass door and plopped himself on my chest, yes i screamed even though i know he can not hurt me. bob would not stop laughing but he did get the thing unglued from my chest. glad you are back on line.
Sorry to hear of your computer troubles, but I suppose we all have to encounter those troubles sooner or later, I'm hoping my turn will be later rather than sooner! I wonder how the frog got into your house?
Living right up the road so to speak in northern Florida we have the same issues...this week a poor lizard got inside, well you know the cats had a good time with him. By the time I got to him Gracie, Jinx and Boo had him cornered, had removed his tail and also had chomped on him a few times. I did scoop him up and release him but I wonder how many cat teeth holes he had. Don't even get me started on my indoor snake (which I killed)... we also had a bumble bee come inside recently too.
*shivers*
It took me over a few years to be totally pain free. The worst part was over within 6 months, but gosh that was one of the worst illnesses I've ever had.
As you know, the frogs are fine with me - but not the snake! Although if it was a harmless black snake, it wasn't so bad. I still don't want them around me, even if they are harmless!!
Snakes? Nope, I guess Florida would not be the place for me. I could handle a frog; but snakes and their slithery ways and I will never be friends...Ewww.
So glad your computer problems are over...welcome back Bev... ~Joy xo
I came back to see your post and my comment isn't here. Maybe I posted it on FB instead.
Senior moments...Arggg!!
Post a Comment