the Senior Prom that took place this past week at a baseball game in St. Petersburg? It took place on Wednesday. Perhaps you saw this commercial.
The player in the Rays shirt is Evan Longor*a, one of many stara on our home team. He suggests in the commercial that they might have a senior prom for senior citizens. The Rays picked up on the idea and this past week there was indeed a senior prom after the baseball games...not for high school seniors, but for senior citizens in the community. Now if you know anything about St. Petersb*rg, you know that there are a lot of senior there.
I heard once that when folks retired to Florida, they moved to the east coast and sent their parents to the west coast. As I myself grow older, I look at the seniors with a great deal of admiration. When I had my knee replacement and was in rehab for a short while, I remember watching people who were much older than I was who had double knee replacements, and they were so diligent about working hard to get those new knees working right. But I digress.
"For Wednesday's game against the Texas Rangers, the staff booked an oldies band and a Frank Sinatra impersonator; bought boutonnieres and corsages for all the seniors; crowned a king and queen of the prom; and offered group discounts for everyone over 55."--taken from an article that I will link to.
More than 2500 seniors bought tickets for this game. I wish I had been there. A writer for the St. Petersburg Times wrote this article about the senior prom and one dear old gentleman who attended. Please click on the link and read the article. It will put a smile on your face. It will be a good way to start your day or finish it nicely. If you can't find the link, it appears that it isn't there, but look in the sentence "A writer for the St. Pete Times wrote...then there is a space. The link is there. It looks like a blank space. I don't know how to make it appear. I will work on this template and try to fix it. Thanks.
12 comments:
Beverly, I don't see the link to the article.....
Never mind, I found it.... now sobbing! Hormones or lack thereof and tired from physical labor today or well, just a great story!!
I can't find the link at all.
I had not heard anything about this. I was able to click on your link and get the article with no problem. What a sweet man, who still seems just as much in love with his wife as ever. I wish they were still together. The story was very good, especially about when he watched the games from the roof of their apartment, and the fateful trip to the butcher.
Thanks, Beverly, I found it. What a sweet story!
What a very sweet story Bev...kleenex time. ~Joy
What a marvellous idea, I read the article and I wish the Toronto Blue Jays manager could read it too.... would love to have something happen like this in T.O.
Love the commercial... and love, love, love the idea of a seniors prom. I want to go!! :-)
What a heart-warming story and event. Thanks for sharing!
I hope you are able to get more sleep now. Days are not as pleasant when one is in need of slumber.
Best,
Bonnie
Great idea. Thanks for link.
That is so heartwarming. I love when things like that actually happen.
Hope you are feeling better and are sleeping too. Think of you often and really wish we could get together sometime.
Don't know how but wish it could happen.
Sue
the article photo of the man in the wheel chair made me think of our senior proms at the nursing home where i volunteer. they started in 2006 and once a year have a Senior Prom. most of the residents are in wheel chairs, but they dress up and love the music and the dancing, we dance with them and aroud them for the ones that still want to. this is a great idea. thans for sharing
Post a Comment