Sunday, October 03, 2010

On to Lake Tahoe and surroundings

 After a day in San Francisco and a day of just hanging around and talking, Sue and Dave took me to Lake Tahoe.  When you have lived where it is flat most of your life, the hills and mountains were very refreshing to see.  It was such a pleasant drive from their house over to Lake Tahoe.
 We stopped along the way to take some pictures.  I am always amazed at the giant boulders and the way that roads have been cut out of mountains. Be sure to click on the photos to see more detail.
 One pleasant surprise was to see salmon who were swimming upstream to spawn.  These fish, the Kokanee, were so interesting to watch.  There were large groups of them swimming together.  We were close enough to them to be able to wade in in touch them.  Of course, no one did.
 I didn't see any swimming right against the current here, but this is the direction in which they were headed.
 If some of them got off the beaten path and laid their eggs, they would not survive because of the mud.  Despite the screen to keep them out, there were a couple of fish in that area.
 Guess who else had been around.  We didn't see any though.
 If you click on the photo, you can read more abut the fish in this area.
 What a beautiful sight.  When we first arrived at the lake, the area where we were going to have our lunch had been blocked off so we drove to around until we found some good viewing areas.
 This photo and the two following were taken at Emerald Bay, which is part of the lake. 

Can you tell I had a good time?  Since I've been home and have told friends about the trip, they all say the same thing, "You really sound like you had a good time."  And I did indeed, many thanks to Sue and Dave.

7 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The lake is just beautiful, and I'm so glad you had such a good time. I have never heard of those fosh before! See you soon.

kenju said...

That lake is really gorgeous!!

srp said...

Lake Tahoe is gorgeous. Even though I visited there in the winter, the snow only makes the blue water even more intense.

photowannabe said...

It was a wonderful time and we loved showing you some of our favorite places.
God created such a magnificient world.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

now i am REALLY jealous!!!!! love the mountain scenery

Putz said...

bev,bev,bev<><>you are in my backyard deareee, you should come to me here in utar which is just minutes away>>>i applied for the mayor's assistant in tahoe, but didn't get it went on to the city of salt lake as ther personnel guy>>>

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beautiful pictures Beverly.
Never been to Lake Tahoe, but the scenery is so spectacular!
Glad you had a good time.