Saturday, December 04, 2010

My Christmas Gift


I flew to Virginia this past Thursday to have an early Christmas with my family.  David asked me before I came what I would like for Christmas.  I told him I did not want anything that I had to bring home.  He then asked if I would like to go to a Christmas concert in Charlottesville.  And that is where I have just come from.  A lovely concert was presented by the Virginia Consort, with the Virginia Consort Youth Chorale, Brass Ensemble and Organ.

This concert consisted of many old pieces, some from Latin and German, but the text was translated in the program, which was a great help.  The video above is John Rutter's "What Sweeter Music."  Between the chorale's singing, the youth chorale presented six numbers.  It was wonderful to see all these young people singing with joy on their faces.

The concert ended with "The Hallelujah Chorus" and the audience singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."  We were surrounded by the chorale lining the aisles.  Pure bliss.

After the concert was over, I was standing in line to go to the bathroom (of course.)  A young girl was in front of me, and I asked her if she had been part of the youth group singing.  She looked at me, her eyes glowing, and said, "Next year."  She really has something wonderful to look forward to.

It had begun snowing in the afternoon, and when we came out of the church the ground was covered.  I'll be out in the morning taking lots of pictures.  I'll have a white pre-Christmas here in Virginia.

12 comments:

srp said...

It is snowing here too... just a dusting... about a fourth of an inch so far but starting to gather on the grass and the plants. Our temperature dropped from 39 to 32 in an hour.

kenju said...

I think a concert is the perfect gift for you! How nice of your son to do that.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so glad you had such a lovely time!! I waited till pretty much the last minute hoping I could go. I'm hoping this will be the last thing I have to cancel before Christmas! At least I should be fine for Ella's program, which I am really looking forward to.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

a truly wonderful gift, thanks for sharing it with us

Anonymous said...

This sounds so lovely Beverly. I love Christmas concerts, especially those put on by young people... they always make me cry.. but in a good way. :-) And there is nothing like a little snow to make everything Christmasy. :-)

kc bob said...

What a great present! And the only things that you will be carrying home are wonderful memories.

podso said...

Sounds like the perfect present ---and then with snow to top it off! Have fun,

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh how glorious that was Bev. Thank you for posting it and letting us enjoy it too. It must have been wonderful to see and hear the Virginia Consort Youth Chorale in person. Happy Holidays sweetie... ~Joy

Fred Alton said...

Wonderful that you got to enjoy that special program of music! Great gift from a thoughtful son. It snowed on me as I made my usual one hour drive from home in Cleveland, TN to my church in Tellico Plains. It was so pretty to watch. Its lovely to see it falling but not a pleasant prospect to drive in. That's about the only time I'd like to be in Florida!! ☻

S. Etole said...

The Hallelujah Chorus is a favorite ... what a beautiful gift.

Putz said...

we all went to the ls singer's concert here in ephraim<>><<>my son ands daughter in law met as ld singers and fell in love and were with us at the concert wit kate, josh and drew

Wendy said...

These are the best gifts in my opinion. Ones you can enjoy with family. The concert sounded just perfect.