Our church observes the Lord's supper the first Sunday of each month. I've been away from home a lot and have missed it, so I was especially glad to see the preparations for it this morning as I entered our sanctuary for the morning service. While our pastor is on vacation and the assistant pastor is in Virginia visiting his dad who has had two strokes, our pastor to the senior adults spoke.
We so often associate fellowship with food. Baptists are notorious for that, and the Bible speaks of it often. When the three men came to Abraham and told him the Sarah would bear a son, Abraham had food prepared for them to eat. They had no doubt come from a distance and were hungry. In Exodus24 Moses and Aaron and other men went up and saw the God of Israel. It says that under his feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright and blue as the sky. It goes on to say that God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank. Can you imagine?
Coming to the Lord's table gives one time to look into one's own heart and examine to see if there is anything to hinder fellowship with the Father and to ask for cleansing and restoration.
As the pastor was speaking, the following song came to mind. One day we are going to gather around the table in heaven. Won't it be grand!
5 comments:
I grew up Baptist and remember this well. However, my best friend attended the Church of the Brethren. They had a Lord's Supper sitting around huge tables with delicious food. Afterwards, they went around the table washing each others feet. It was very moving even to a child. At the Baptist church, we always had a delicious dinner on Wednesdays after the youth groups and before prayer meeting. Mrs. Adams was the cook and her food was so good. Such a wonderful memory!!
Best,
Bonnie
this song is new to me Bev, i like gospel music. old time gospel. like this.
Dining at the heavenly table will be divine.
Just think we all all be together. Won't that be wonderful?
I like gospel music too Bev...this was a good one. Thanks.
Wonderful post, Beverly! I'm thankful for the "Communion" or "The Lord's Supper" for it really gets to the heart of how we are saved by grace through faith.
I talked about your blog to my first cousin this week. Terry (Junius) Jones and Arvis Cail (brothers and sisters) are my first cousins. You may know one or both of them.
Post a Comment