How many of us have beautiful feet? Probably not very many. Maybe that's one reason we cover them with shoes. I see some ladies who love to wear sandals, and their feet do look nice, perhaps after a pedicure, or if they have just polished their toenails themselves.
I remember one of the first things that a friend did when she saw my babies for the first time was take off their socks or booties and kiss their feet. She thought they were beautiful. Would she do that today to them? I don't think so.
When I was young, my mother always spent the money to put me in Buster Brown shoes, thinking that would help me avoid foot problems like she had. Guess what. It didn't.I developed hammer toes, had surgery for neuromas, had shots for heel spurs, and I find it hard to walk without orthotics in my shoes. Dress shoes went out the window a long time ago.
I wonder why podiatrists would choose their particular profession since all the do all day long is look at feet, feet that have all kinds of problems and are not very pretty.
The Bible speaks of beautiful feet, feet that are used to spread the gospel among those who are lost. In Isaiah the prophet writes: " How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'"
In Romans, Paul writes "And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
Last Thursday a grouop of us who worked in lived in Haiti were together for the morning and one of the ladies shared this story.
The Bible School students all went out on the weekends to preach at churches in the country. A truck would take them and drop them off, and then the men would walk to their appointments for Sunday, ministering along the way as they went. The preached in their church on Sunday and then walked back to their pickup point to come back to the school.
One Monday morning my friend was working in the office when one of the men came in. When she asked him about his weekend, he was so excited. He told her that one of people attending the service he spoke in on the wekeend had come to know the Lord as His Savior.
When he walked out of the office, my friend looked down at his feet, and they were bleeding..beautiful feet. She sad that before she went to Haiti, she had often thought of that verse about beautiful feet, but it came to life that day. I have to ask myself, "Are my feet beautiful?"
5 comments:
thanks for sharing the story of the bleeding feet and they certainly fit the description of "beautiful feet". i love babies feet and hands, they are the first thing i look at, the are still sweet and innocent.
your header is beautiful. I love that church.
Great post ...and I love your new header!
I rarely wear shoes at home. My children used to warn their friends, "Don't look at her feet and try never to touch them." Guess you can tell my feet are not beautiful.
What a poignant story.
Love your banner!
My feet look a lot better since I had surgery on a misshapen and painful big toe joint.... but I still wouldn't call them beautiful. Useful, definitely, but not beautiful.
Post a Comment