Sunday, April 29, 2012

When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart

Another year has passed.  April 30, 2002, my husband Don got up as usual.  His routine was to shave and sit down for his morning devotions.  He faithfully read Scripture each morning and read the daily devotional, "Our Daily Bread."  This morning was like every other morning.  The Scripture that particular morning was Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them the love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  Later that day, Don was ushered into heaven through an accident.

Ten years have passed.  I used to put flowers in the church each anniversary, and I finally stopped realizing that the money spent on flowers could be used to feed some hungry people or given to some worth cause.  I decided, though, to have some in church this morning.  Several people spoke to me after church, remembering Don fondly.  One gentleman, in particular, shared with me how he and Don had had such a good working relationship.  This man was an electrician before he retired and offered his services to the church when a need arose.  He often spoke to Don asking him questions to be sure he was doing everything right, and he appreciated always the assurances that he received from Don.

A few months after Don died, I received a CD from some friends in Cincinnati.  Their son-in-law who was a music minster in a church had recorded a song that I listened to over and over again in those months that followed, and I'd like to share it with you.  The words are so true...when you can't trace His hand, trust His heart.

11 comments:

carmilevy said...

May his memory always be a blessing. May the gifts he left you - and through you, us - always be appreciated.

The way you write about him makes me wish I had met him.

Thinking of you...

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I remember him well and also his beautiful singing, my prayers are with you today as you remember your happy years with him. the song is beautiful.

KGMom said...

Thinking of you today.
Of course, I never met Don (nor you in person) but your grace-filled persistence in keeping on living a good life, at the same time to recall the life and witness of Don--that is something very special.
Blessings on you.

Island Rider said...

Praying for you! What a great reunion it will be one day!

Peggy said...

This is a wonderful tribute post and my heart is with you.

It seems a tad trite to come in here and mention this now. I got your email today. Yes, of course I would be thrilled to have you reference my blog on Facebook.

But more importantly, be strong.

Peggy

Bellezza said...

Beverly, it was so good to hear from you today! I'm do glad you haven't forgotten my silly blog.

I, too, lost a husband 15 years ago this February. I had to stop and count the years just now because it is still a difficult thing to understand. (He was only 33, and his death was due to mental illness.)

Anyway, we do trust in Our Father and His heart. Mine reaches out to yours at this sad anniversary.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

I love that song. So sorry about Don. The older I get the more I realize and understand that it takes but a moment to change a lifetime. I stood in my husband's hospital room a month ago, wondering if we were having one of those moments. Thankfully, God saw him through and all is well. Hope you smile often at the memories of Don. God bless.

S. Etole said...

What a hard thing to experience for you. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness - ten years already! How can that be? Where did it go? And how life can just turn on a dime and be changed forever.

That is such a beautiful song and it must have brought you a little bit of comfort in those early months.

I'll echo Carmy - the way you write about Dan, makes me wish I'd met him too.
Blessings to you both

Shammickite said...

My thoughts are with you. It's a sad anniversary for certain. But the good thing is that you are still here, caring for your little granddaughter and making a difference in her life. Be joyful. Life is wonderful.

podso said...

It's hard to believe it's been ten years but it may seem even longer to you. But you've seen plenty of God's grace over these years. Warm memories!